1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wanna hire this guy???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Nov 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Get this, I had a guy call me the other day. He saw my ad in the local paper for fall clean-ups etc in the service directory. He stated that he saw my ad and wanted some info (he was looking for a job). He proceeds to tell me that he just got out of prison and did grounds maintenance while he was in the big house. He said and I quote "any idiot can run a mower." Said he had quite a few years experience all from his time in prison. I wouldn't let this idiot anywhere near my Walker he probably try to take it. I thought it was one of my buddies screwing around but this guy was legit. Any one want his number (LOL), sounds like he has at least 10 years experience. Wonder if he comes complete with an orange jump suit???:rolleyes:
  2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, it's about time they let Stone out of jail. Now he can go back to being a useful member of society. He's going to need a job so he can save up and get some old Toros.
  3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the best workers I ever worked with was on work release from the county jail. He was so happy to be out for the daytime. :)
    This was when I was crew forman for another company. He Was a hard worker, didn't complain, didn't have to be told twice or three times how to do something.
    But the coment about any idiot can run a mower might have made me hang up on the guy :mad:
  4. bilbo7021

bilbo7021 LawnSite Member

First of all not every person in prison is "crap". Do you know what he was in for? Did you ask what kind of equipment he ran? Maybe he was used to using larger equipment. And if they trusted him enough to let him outside the "walls", then what does that say?

And as for people in prison, did you know that about 25% of all those convicted end up being "not guilty" due to some lawyer freaking the case up?

I'm not saying everyone is an angel, but blanket statements like "just because he was in jail, means he'll steal something" are just plain wrong.

Another example....... Are all "picture perfect" families "perfect"?

My two cents worth
  5. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

I agree not every released from prison is a terrible person.
    open your mind and maybe even your heart a little.
    This person, is just that a person, he deserves a chance.
    It is your attitude that helps to keep people who may have otherwise reformed.
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget you can get a tax credit for hireing them
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

In my earlier years, I had some real winners working for me. They would get paid on Saturday and get blown out on Saturday night and Sunday, and were totally useless on Monday. One weekend they got locked up so I was off to find new helpers. This was in the middle of spring, too. I also had a guy that was out on parole, for what I didn't ask. He decided the job wasn't for him and I didn't argue. Thank God I don't have these problems anymore. Mike
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Come on now.....any idiot CAN run a mower. This is not a scalpel we run it's a lawnmower. So what's the point?

Sure we learn little tricks that make us more efficient on a mower but to elevate yourself to some kind of status because you can run a lawnmower is ridiculous. You're just a man and you have bad breath in the morning just like this guy does. Lighten up.

I wouldn't say to let this guy come in out of prison and let him run your finances of your company, but he could end up being the best employee you've ever had. Remember he will be on parole for some time, and will have to report, you could do yourself a favor by hiring this guy and just keep in touch with his P.O. Believe me if he starts acting funny, things come up missing, whatever his P.O. can get a handle on it with the quickness. Having one foot in prison and one foot out has a good effect on SOME people. SOME, tend to try a little harder than the next guy who has learned to take everything for granted.

I think you could at least interview this guy IN PERSON, where you can look him in the eye man to man, and find out alot more about his charachter than one phone call.

Try not to be so narrow minded.
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hey easy guys, I just thought it deserved a little chuckle. When he said any idiot can run a mower I thought you'd all find it amusing. I agree its pretty simple to mow a lawn. I'm not putting him down. I have a very good buddy who just got out of prison a couple of months ago, nothing aginst the guy it just struck me as funny. I give the guy credit for being so honest and telling me up front about his history. I didn't mean to offend anyone, my apologies if I did.
  10. dr grass

dr grass Banned

wow. this is going to be a long one for me. i have some ears to chew on with this one. where should i start....

bilbo - ok first of all, i would like to see something in BLACK and WHITE that says a quarter of our convicts are locked up under false pretenses. secondly, could you agree that society does not look up, but rather down on parolees, and people associated with prison time? do MOST of the people in prison deserve to be there? i would say so. do most of the homeless people drink, and are in general lazy? definately would find some truth in that wouldnt ya? im sorry about the "generalizations" but that is what society does. your arguement is for the "acceptions to the rules" which you, i , and everyone on lawnsite knows is few and
    far between.

therainman - open your heart and mind?? haaaa!! thats how innocent people get murdered. keep your defense's up son. maybe its just me and the dump town i live in, but i still like the statement "trust noone but yourself"

Isylvain - who cares about writeoffs. is the headache worth it?? gotta check on with the p.o. gotta run around knowing in the back of your mind your dealing with a felon. people dont go to jail for selling a bag of weed. these are serious criminals

Green pastures - sure this is not brain surgety we are dong here, but where is your sence of pride for the industry your in. how long have you been doing this son? i dont mind "elevating myslef to a PROfessional status" you can keep on with your weak minded, low self esteem statements (and whos narrow minded) ok, green so you let the guy come out of prison to be a laborer. hes not running your finances, but can you agree that he ALONE can have a dramatic effect on your finances???? think about it! 75,000k worth of equipment can be easily taken with the turn of a key and the press of the gas pedal. now is he a part of your FINANCES??? you also highlighted my point from earlier. you said SOME of the parolees actually better themselves. well, your arguing the "acceptions to the rule" again here. i would generalize MOST people it would not help. I dont want to be the one to find out that it didnt work. Would you Green Pastures?

Its just like myself being of the long - haired, tatto'd, pierced gender. i realize that this puts me in a catagory in societys eyes, but i dont expect people to sit and make excuses for me. Yet, you people are doing it for the bottom rung of society. Get real, and higher some qualified people....

shep :dizzy:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.