wanna make enemies, or go broke?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 26, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm sorry pga, i don't purchase plants from home depot or home owner type nurseries. i deal with a whole saler, who sells only to profesional landscapers. part of the agreement for thier great prices, is that, once the piece leaves the lot, it can't be returned. as a pro, i'm expected to be able to decide wether or not the plant is healthy, and make a choice on wether or not, i want to buy it. but, you should stick with home depot. it's better that way

2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I purchase ALL my plants from here:

http://www.suburbanlawnandgarden.com/

Everything they sell is fully guaranteed.

I NEVER said I buy anything from HD.

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

why would you buy from a nursery that doesnt stand behind their product ? its like buying a new car with no warranty

4. PGA

Exactly! The warranty not only protects the customer you are doing the install for but it protects YOU.

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

no nursery in jersey warranties their plant stock and i dont blame them. how is it there fault if the customer doesn't water? maybe some smaller mom and pop garden centers do but i have yet to come across a wholesaler that does..

heres a good trick if they dont have a irrigation system. tie a knot in the the homeowners hose before you leave... then when they call you back see if its still there...

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby,

You know the expression "joke 'em if they can't take a ...."

Last time I checked it was even simpler than common sense to know that seeds don't turn into plants without water, so sounds to me like they are .... out of luck until they pay again. Whether they pay you, pay at HD and do it themselves or pay some other guy, it isn't being done for free.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

like i said aintnofun, pro nurseries give you a wholesale price, and expect YOU (as the pro) to be able to recognize + choose a healthy plant. the one i deal with doesn't even allow "do it your selfers" on thier grounds. but hey, if these guys wanna go to a standard run of the mill supplyer, get thier measly 10% off for being a "landscaper", have the clerk advise them wether thier choice is suitable for sun, shade, and when it blooms, hey...that's thier choice.

8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

im guessing you go to statile too, eh.....

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Wholesale nurseries make no guarentees except the plant is alive when its loaded. The minute it leave there property there is no warrenties. How can a place guarentee a tree or bush from wind damage or burn on the ride to a customers home? Its up to the professional to know what and how to transport them. If you give a guarentee you should be charging enough to cover the replacement. When over 50% die there a good reason for it and 95% of the time its lack of water.

10. PGA

Why get it from a wholesaler then? Wouldnt the smart thing be to have some warrantied so you dont lose money out of your own pocket if something like this comes up?

FYI, the wholesalers around here warranty their trees, shrubs and flowers, some of them up to 1 year.