Wanna Trade?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Chris J, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I posted this on the landscape forum, but I guess I'll put it here as well in case any new guys wander in looking for info:

So here's the deal. I've bought a new home that has a 1/2 acre lot, and large back yard. Right now the back is a blank slate with no plants or anything except grass. Just a square piece of land. Being in the landscape lighting business, I'm wondering if any of you seasoned landscape designers might be willing to trade designs. I'll provide pictures of the yard, and you provide a CAD drawing of a detailed landscape plan. In return, I will help you on your next job that involves lighting; from fixture selection to placement to wiring design and setup. I'll also provide my personal phone number to assist you during the processs. I'll even help you sell it! If you are interested, please contact me via PM or through my website (you should be going to my website so you will know you are in good hands).
    Let me know if you wanna do some horse trading, but please do not respond if you're not on top of your game. I do quality work, and that is what I want for my yard as well.

Thanks,

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You know Chris, I trade out lighting for landscaping on my place. I have a landscaper who has put in some wonderful landscaping at my home and I illuminated his home. He came back and did a boat load more landscaping at my home and now I'm lighting his father's home.

Do you have anyone there who might want to work something like that out with you?

3. Chris J

I'm going to make some calls in the next few days to see if I can find someone. I don't have any "real good" relationships with quality landscape designers, so this might be a good opportunity to make some new friends.

4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Chris I would help ya just to help ya but I dont know a palm tree from a telephone pole. Ok I'm not that bad. But you are in a way different zone buddy ( the twilight zone :) ) so I wouldnt be much help I'm afraid. I do applaud you for the idea tho and I hope you get a solid taker on your offer. Plz keep us updated with pics of before and after if you would.
    I will trade you my weather for yours......all the snow was pretty much gone but tonight we are gettin 4 - 8" of wet snow. :(

Keith

5. Chris J

Yuck! I was actually sweating my butt off today! 80 degrees tomorrow, but fortunately the job we have lined up is a small one. Geez, listen to me. I'm already complaining about 80 degrees!
    Actually, I wouldn't need too much help with the actual trees/plants. I'm looking more for a concept if you will. I'll get some pictures once I move in next week. All I need is a layout. The plan could say something like "tall bushy tree here", "low ground cover here", "paver walkways here", glorious water feature with 12' falls, koi pond, hammock area, fire pit area, tiki hut/bar, summer kitchen here. I want this place to be bad to the bone! I intend on raising the value of the surrounding homes by 50k in two months! Weekly lighting demos at my place of course, complete with BBQ cookout and drinks for all! I think that would actually be a tax deduction as well? hmmmm......

6. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

Chris, contact your local chapter of the Association of Professional Landscape Designers or APLD. It is a worldwide organization and there is most likely a chapter near you. I am on the board for the Sacramento chapter and it is a great group to network with. You might find a very good designer who is looking to improve thier understanding of Landscape Lighting. I have found it to be invaluable and have helped many landscape designers who have in return referred me for lighting. Anyone can PM me for info.

7. Chris J

Tommy, I meant to tell you that I met a guy from cali the other day who knew you. I was doing a rework of his ex-wife's place in Ponte Vedra, and he happened to be in town. His name escapes me at the moment, but he does some incredible work with artificial stone and morter as he creates pools and water features. Know who I'm talking about? Kind of a short guy, slim/in shape, real short hair (balding). He's looking to move to my area and was picking my brain for area info. Hope to hook up with him if him comes this way.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I might be able to help ya some chris just email me some photos.

9. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

You just described everyone I know! LOL Nobody comes to mind but if you get a name let me know. I actually have people come to table at restaurants and ask me if I am 'The Lighting Geek' when I have my truck in the parking lot. He could be one of them? or one the dozens of people who honk thier horn at me because of my name..LOL I just made it worse by getting a Lic plate 'GEEKSTR' ....my friends tell me I need to seek help...LOL

10. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Tommy u are hilarious! I wish we could get some kind of a conference call going where anyone who wanted could jump on. Kinda a rountable thing. Is this possible? We could get Chris's landscape figured out between the laughs and stories!

Keith