Want a Skid next summer....

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RedWingsDet, Dec 30, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Next summer I want to purchase a skid steer... I need help guiding me in the right direction. I want to get a Bobcat, cat or Gehl, im leaning towards bobcat.

I will be using it for the following:
    1. load trucks with dirt, gravel, and mostly mulch.
    2. Move pallets of bricks and salt around and SOD (we do ALOT of sod installs so it is a must that it can pick up pallets).
    3. Do tearouts like sod and rocks and 4-6" of dirt to prep for base.
    4. Load garbage/grass/brush into container.
    5. Grading

I dont plan on plowing snow with it, but it'd be a nice option to have.
    I want to buy a good used one and spend in the range of 10-15k.

Anyone have ideas on what would suit me best?
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Bobcat 873. About the only machine you'd ever be able to get for 15K in that kind of capacity range. Keep in mind an 873 in that price range is going to be beat to hell and have a ton of hours. You might get lucky and find a lower hour Gehl, but I think I'd take a Bobcat over Gehl, especially the older ones.
  3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I don't if you will be able to get a Bobcat for that price range you might have to up your bump up the amount you want to spend a few thousand and you should be in business with a nice S250
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

A thomas 245 model would also fit the bill. Tough as hell and not to pricey. Run forever.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think the deals are out there. and I think now is the time to buy. You can buy a nice cat off of ironplanet for 15k-20k. I have seen a 700 hour 242 go for 15k. I should have bought a 1200 hour nh ls180 for 10.5k on ebay, but somebody else hit buy-it-now before I did. I tried to purchase this cat today, but it sold locally for $16,800 today before I could get him a deposit.

6. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

We've ran Gehl for many years. Never a complaint. You should be able to pick up a decent used one between 12-15k. Bobcat and Cat are both excellent machines as well but we've stuck with Gehl due to their performance history with us. Don't forget the importance of having a dealer close by no matter which brand you choose.
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would try and find an 1845C. Great machines, great value.
  8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a Deere 260 or 270 would be great for what your doing. Maybe even a 250 would be fine. They have reliable motors and are built heavy and have the vertical lift. All of the Deeres seem to have some boom sway but that is normal for the Deeres. I would go for the Series II version but the early ones should be okay if you take the serial to the Dealer to find out what updates have been done. A New Holland also would be good especially for the money. The old Case machines are good machines also.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

If you must go Deere, it definately has to be a series II, or it'll be in the shop every other week.
  10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I'd have to second the Deere idea. I think New Hollands will fit the bill, but for heavier digging, meh, you may need an Ls190 or Lx985, both of which are pretty long machines (51" wheelbase). For the price, NH will probably be your easiest find, but I suspect you'd like the Deeres a bit better for your job. They're heavier-built.

As for whether it needs to be a 200 Series II, it's possible to find the original series that are in good shape -- but I have no idea how to tell dud from fine apart. (Perhaps some of the Deere guys would.)