Want lower gas prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 98VLS, Feb 21, 2004.

1. 98VLS

98VLS LawnSite Member

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

> > > > > > Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am .. so trust me on this one.) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

> > > > > > Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.97 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am .. so trust me on this one.) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
    Think It would work?

2. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

people are to lazy to do that they would rather ***** about it

3. 98VLS

98VLS LawnSite Member

I'm sick of high prices I'm ready

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Every year this stuff goes around. Is my email going to be flooded again this month? :rolleyes:

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Will prices go down? no. Will they hit $3.00? No.

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

$3 a gallon would bring this country to it's knees. I think we would probably invade another middle eastern country before that happened. Oh, sorry, Iraq wasn't about oil, was it?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Great in theory,...but it doesn't work like that. By boycotting the two companies that you mentioned, this is NOT going to bring the rest of the companies prices down. First, think about the steps that are needed to be taken to achieve this.
    We boycott our local Mobil station. The owner will drop his prices, and suffer from not making as much, but he is NOT going to be able lower his prices enough to make that significant of a difference (afterall, he is still paying the going rates for gas). If he goes without business all together, as described in this plan, than we have just hurt "Elmer" the gas station owner, starved his family, put him in debt, and probably out of business. Is this going to affect BP/Amoco, Shell, Marathon, etc.? No. As I said, the gas companies are NOT going to lower their prices that low, as it is not THEM who are making the prices,... it is OPEC who is dictating all this.
    All this idea would do, is like I said, put Joe, Elmer, and any other gas station owner who sells these company's fuels out of business. Furthermore, with the less capital gain to operate with, (transport, taxes, labor, insurances, etc.), we could even see the OPPOSITE effect, as they would have to make changes to pay the costs entailed that stay the same. If an operator makes x amount of profit on a dollar, and then his cash floww is cut down by 5 times, if he is only selling 1/5 the amount, how will he be able to keep his operating expenses piad? That's right - he has to charge 5X the amount for the quantity that IS sold. So, we can send all the chain e-mail we want, and it's not going to do any good. This would be like boycotting an automobile manufacturer to bring all the manufacturers' prices down. We would put the dealers out of business, but what good would THAT do?

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I was thinking when I get a little larger to set up something with a gas whole sale company and have my own tanks installed and just buy direct. I just do not know if that will escape the vulgar 57 cent a gal gas tax in New Haven county but it will at the very least shave off 10-30 cents a gal. Any ways I still have $1.65 a gal 1 mile from my house as of Feb 20th so it sounds like you have it worse then us funny thing is I don't recall CT having any oil wells ahh well I ant complaining.

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem for me. I dont have an Exxon or Mobil station anywhere near me. So I guess I have been doing my part for years.

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what is like in everyone else's state but this might be worth checking out. Gas taxes are most usually used to pay for roads. Taxes paid on fuel used for off-road activities isn't taxed in Washington state and we are entitled to a refund on taxes paid to run lawn maintenance equipment. Save your receipts, send them in and get those taxes back. Won't save you from having to pay fuel tax for motor vehicles but hey, every little bit helps.