1. want to get a mig welder

looking at centery 200
    any good
    any brands you recomend under $1500
    have a cheapy w/flux core
    have 220 now just finished running it
  2. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

I've been using a Millermatic 185 for the past 5years and am still loving it.
  3. leasen

leasen LawnSite Member

if the millermatic is the 110 machine i have used this machine and it is a great machine but i needed a 220 unit and i got a systamatics wich works great the settings on the wire speed and heat setting are both variable rather than predetermined settings such as low med high heat settings
  4. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

should've elaborated some more. I was torn and twisted wether or not I should get the 185 or the 250. If I had to do it over I'd buy the same one again. The 185 is a 50A 220V model, I get good results up to ~ 1/2"; what I really like about it is the ability to have a controlled arc for really thin stock. I've welded on duct-work like metal before and didn't have any problems with it. With the addition of a spoolgun you can weld aluminum. I don't know how well it performs with a spoolgun since I use a Lincoln TIG. Overall it is a good performer with a smooth arc, the only thing I'd change (and maybe they have meanwhile) is the voltage tab; it has set points vs. the wiretab which is infinitely adjustable. But it really hasn't presented itself as a real problem yet.
  5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a Lincoln 200 amp this year and having great success with it.The price for everything was 1500 and change.That included the wire 35 flux core,gas,feeder,and any other thing that it might have needed to get going.

Again I feel it deals with what your local dealer can support you on if you have a problem,

Good Luck
    Mike Nelson

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Try looking for a esaab mig welder! They are extremely good and reasonable priced in our area.
  7. Wow this one was a while back.

I still haven't gotten one yet.

But I think I will get a Lincon, the guys I used to go to for welding have sevral.

I will be using it more for mower repair, but want the ability for fabrication.

My little 110 one does ok but it's slow and some times not strong enough.
  8. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah! Lincoln welders are reliable. That's what my dad has.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

200 amp minimum

Lincoln is the best IMO
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, are all good names, and will work fine. I work with a manufacturer of Mig Welding guns, and I hear complaints every single day.

If you want easy parts replacement and service dont buy anything else.

If it were me I would choose the one above that is the cheapest in the particular amperage you need. For what your doing all the special features that one manufacturer has over another doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

PS: I would lean toward the Miller only because out of them all the are the only one who has stayed with the same connection plug (Gun to Feeder). Lincoln has too many to count on one hand.

This may not seem major but I have a problem with manufacturers who change items all the time. It just increases the replacement parts cost, and makes it difficult to interchange parts. Check with your friends who use these machines and I bet if they have more than one machine (of a different year) the guns wont swap from one to the other.