Want more out of you 2 cycles? Look in here.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jun 6, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never really had the money for the best of the best on my blowers and trimmers so i have to make the best of what I've got. Let me start off by saying I know this is illegal, unenvironmental, etc. I'm in this biz to make money and find the most efficient ways of doing it. I don't get paid to worry about all the little crap in life and I don't think anyone on this site does either so spare me the preaching of how wrong you think this might be. I took my 2 cycles and made the air filter system better breathing(homemade), turned up the Hi needle on the carb to a safe enough setting that I won't hurt the engine(believe me there is plenty more RPMs to pull out of them from the stock setting), and last but most importantly you NEED to gut all the EPA and firescreen crap from the muffler and free it up. My end results are 2X the power, yes 2X. Burns less fuel overall, gets the job done better and FASTER, and way easier starts. I always wondered why some of my 2 cycles were so hard starting and after I cracked into the exhaust I could believe they would even run at all. They all totally restricked from the factory. I just thaught some of you might want to try this technique and I'm sure some will wine about the legallity of it. Bottom line it works great.
  2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It should be common knowledge to remove (or clean) the spark arrestor. Explain how you make the air filter breathe better.
  3. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Thats it I'm calling the cops this is illegal j/k lol
  4. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. On my Echo products there seems to be a stupid amount of extra garbage other than just the fire screen that I removed. As far as the air filters go some are differant than others but I eliminate all thick paper types. Its like having the choke on all the time. I replace with fine screen material. Probably a little less protection but overall I think worth the power gains. Most of these engines are not only safe at a higher RPM but actually better off because they can load up and get hot extra fast. The faster the flywheel is moving the more cooling happening.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On the Echo 260 they took the adjusting screws off a a couple years then put adjustment back on later. I got two of those units without adjusting screws. Eventually neither one would hardly run. I took them to the regional tech rep and he showed me how to raise that needle in the venture. It was pretty difficult but those two unit start on the first pull and run like bandits. With the new units there is only one adjustment screw so I was wondering if I could take carb apart and screw up that needle to fix these also....any experience with this.