1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Want opinions on this 21"er (Snapper)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I was at me dealer's today ordering a mulch kit for my 48. He had a Snapper SPV21S that had been demoed. He said he would sell it to me for $225. It hasn't been demoed that much. Appears it has about the usage of one lawn mowing. I looked at he underside of the deck and it had very little wear. It is like the one at this link http://www.snapper.com/easy_line.html He is holding it for me. So what you think....should I get it? Seems like a good deal to me.
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well what is the new price?

If 225 is a hefty discount, I'd say get it if you need one.
  3. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I used a residential snapper mower that was older than me (16) this season for my work and the only problem I had with it was my own fault. On this more there is a handle that you have to pull to keep the mower from shutting off and to do this there is a string of sorts attached to this handle and because I constantly rubed the same spot and twisted this string it finally broke on me. How did I fix it? I took a zip tie and tied the lever on the engine to another point on the engine so that the mower would be on all the time and the only way to shut it off was to choke it till it died.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

It's not a commercial grade machine. What is your planned usage of it? Only carries a 90 day commercial warranty. Also, this drive system... I believe I remember a Snapper rep telling me that it uses the same design as on the rear wheel drive MTD mowers which do not have a track record worth looking at.

Looks like list price on that model is about $510 from the Snapper website.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Yeah I know it is not commercial. I rarely use a 21 incher but I hate the one I have now....Troy-bilt P.O.S....also residential. But for the amount I use a 21 and it is a much better unit than my current 21.
    I have a 48 WB that I use all the time and I use a 21 only when necessary.
  6. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

the Deere that looks the same has a 1 year "all other than residential" warrenty
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I have one with the 6-speed transmission, hi-vac, and it has been a great mower. Paid over $600 for it. Just bought a new rubber driven disc for it, $40, but it lasted two seasons. Have a 32 and 48 wb's but still use the 21 quite a bit. Very satisfied with it.
  8. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 100% Snapper and never had any major problems!!
  9. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal. We use a push mower once a week and sometimes twice. We just get $110 disposable mowers that last two or three seasons and move on.
  10. Grimmy

Grimmy LawnSite Member

Go for it. I have a 21" commerical hi-vac that I purchased new. Great unit.
    When I 1st. started out in the business, I purchased a 19" push mower (Oldie but Goodie) for $50. Too this day I still use it for tight areas. Have no complaints, however like anything else, preventative maintenance is the key as well as dealer support.