1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

want to buy the best walk behind (42"-48")

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Nov 24, 2004.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i am looking to buy a walk behind. I currently have a kubota zd-18 with a 54" deck(which i love).next year i hope to get some more town homes and my rider is just too heavy it tares up the new sod.

i never operated a walk behind so i don't know what really to expect but here is kinda what i am looking for

-industrial strength(if they made a diesel i'd be set). i don't want to be repairing all the time.
    -easy to operate. i am always in a hurry and i want something that is quick. maybe get a cart?
    -awesome cut, i would even consider buying some kind of striping kit. i want a professional cut!

F.Y.I there is a toro dealer about a mile from my house. i have never really liked toro. they seem cheaply made? but what do i know i've never owned one.

no need for any vacuum attachments. i have the vaccum for the kubota

2. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Exmark is #1 country wide and Toro is #2. Toro owns both of these companies. I don't think you can go wrong w/ a Toro!
  3. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Blade-speed on the Ex Mark is excellent-makes for an excellent cut ; I have a 42" Walker w/GHS but the Ex Mark is superior on the hills and for covering wide open lawns especially
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

so... exmark is better than toro about how much are they brand new?
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

blade tip speed is not really any different from manufactuter to manufacturer.

1850fps is, i think the max allowed by ansi.

i do agree with exmark being an awesome value.
    was very happy with mine
    i have a 48"viking that's probably 12 years old now.
    we use it as a bush hog not. it probably has at least 10K hours on it.
    it's a real tank
  6. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Is price any object for you ?

The belt slipper type drive systems are much cheaper to buy, but the twin hydro type drive systems are easier, and faster to use.

Your Kubota ZD 54 is a twin hydro drive system, so if you want to be able to operate as fast as it does - go with hydro in a commercial walk mower also.

There are a number of superb commercial walk mowers out there, and their qualities are sooo closely matched that it is impossible to say that any one brand is superior in all respects over all the others. This is one case where it is as important to consider the qualities of the dealer you will be getting , along with the qualities of the machine you choose.

Gravely makes a commercial walk mower that is right at the top in engineering, and in overall construction. Since they are a sponser of Lawn Site, you can hit the icon at the top of the page and read up on their machines - plus you can find several dealers by using the dealer locator.

Gravely has done one unique thing with their hydro walk mowers. They have a series of riders [34Z, 44Z, 48Z] that are really based on their hydro walkers. They have changed the control sticks and put a seat and floor pan on the walking machines to let you ride them. The price is nearly the same, in whichever configuration you choose.
  7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Demo a Hustler Super walk-behind with a set of High lift blades and a BullRider; make sure itÂ’s the last one you demo because after you use the H-bar you will keep the SWB.
  8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Bob-Cat mower!!! I have a Bob-Cat 48" walk behind mower and I love it!!!! It has 300 hrs. on it with no problems at all. My Bob-Cat is built like a tank!!!! It has excellent mechanicals and its cut and striping are superior to all other brands!!! A Bob-Cat mower will not dissappiont you!!!
  9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to say ferris,or hustler
  10. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

Exmark all the way with Ted McKay