Want to buy used skid loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dynamitewy, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Dynamitewy

Dynamitewy LawnSite Member

I want to buy a used skid loader to dig a half basement for house, then to use to clean horse barn and corrals. Needs to be a used machine because of cost. I want a Bobcat or a New Holland because of local dealership availability. Time to do work isn't an issue I'm a retire hobby rancher with a lot of time. What's the best machine under $7500 for this type project. Thanks. Dynamitewy.

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless your stalls are huge, you are going to need a bobcat 463, or New Holland LX125, as they measure 44" wide, 36" with the narrow kit and bucket.

Either of these operate relativley similarly, and would do the same job in comparison. We have dug swimming pools with 463's before we changed operating systems, and compared to a basement, the time taken was about a week with 2" on each side of the machine traveling in and out to the dump truck. That should give you a good gauge to compare from. At your $7,500.00 budget, you can find some fairly low hour machines in that class in that range.

Now, if your stalls are bigger, you could run a 763 bobcat or the NH LX170.

Personally, I would steer to Bobcat if that was one of my two choices, New Hollands in the larger models are cumbersome, which means you will have a hell of a time in the tight confines of horse stalls, under powered, and can't dig their way out of loose soils let alone on hills or hard soils. If that is what you end up with just get some cheese and it will go well with the drive motor whines.... The multiple knuckle and hinges wear fast, and the boom becomes so unstable you need to rely on the rub rails on the cab to keep the boom straight. I watched one on flat level ground go on it's side when the operator had a concrete barrier on the forks about 3 feet up and the weight threw it right over. They can however, lift a house.

The Bobcat is designed more for excavation, even though it relies on yank em sticks and pedals to control the machine. It will turn tighter and be more suitable for horse stalls.

3. Dynamitewy

Thanks for the input. What's reasonable tach time on a used skid loader? Dynamitewy.

4. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

As a second suggestion, try looking at a used Cast 1825B if either dealer has one, or a used 553. I think that would be a good size (granted I'm imagining larger openings than 36") for your needs.

Reasonable tach time kinda depends... on that size a machine, I'd be leery of skids pushing 4,000 hours, but I'd really try to get it down to about 1,000 hours. Your budget may come into play at around that figure, give or take a few hundred hours.

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat:

It's not so much the openings, it is being able to turn when you get into the stalls. unless you got a very big parn, most stall isleways are not more that 10' wide front stall to front stall, and the openings are near 5'. Stalls range from place to place, but in a boarding barn back home the stalls were 12'x12' with a 5' sliding door opening. A 553 would work well too, I just forgot about the size.

6. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification/information.

7. Dynamitewy

Thanks guys. Bucket size not a big problem as our barn is open face pole barn with moveable panels across the front. Something that's a good digger is a bigger priority for me, that and budget.

8. Dynamitewy

Is a skid steer with a motor less than 20 HP an adequate machine to dig in praries sod to a depth of about 4 ft?

9. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

I wouldn't recommend it.

The RC-30 may be a good investment for you if you can spend a little extra money. (I know you preferenced NH and Bobcat, but an Ls125 or 463 won't cut digging 4 feet. I am assuming, however, that you want to dig several bucket-widths? Not just a single pass?)

10. Dynamitewy

Thanks BobcatS250. Yes several passes. Basement footprint to be 30 x 50 ft. approx. Case 1830? Bobcat 642B? Bobcat 743. I lean toward gas because of overhaul costs, but can consider diesel. Your thoughts please!!.