Want to do my own service on 17 horse kawi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pilgrims' Pride, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Does anybody know where to find a good maint. manual for that?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The owners manual is all you should need to perform maintenace. If you don't have one your dealer can get you one.

3. jgtxusa

jgtxusa LawnSite Member

You really do not need a manual to do the service on it. It is very easy on the kawasakis. Oil, oil filter, air filters, and fuel filters is it. Change your plugs once a season and soak the carb maybe once a season in b-12. Make sure you buy new carb and intake gaskets when you do this. Always check the airbox and carb mounting bolts or nuts to make sure they stay tight. We ruined one last year when they came loose on a baby kawi. Good luck.

4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have the older syle 17 HP (air filter against very front) you'll need to change the plugs every month. I do on both my machines or they will start blowing oil and simply stop running shortly after that, until they are replaced. I believe the horrible design of that filter causes the problem.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You will only need a service manual if you are going to be repairing the engine or if you intend to do the valve adjustments yourself.

For all the other stuff, you can find out all you need to know right here usually.

One thing that has not been mentioned so far is that the plastic engine shroud should be removed periodically for inpection and cleaning underneath it. You'll want to be sure nothing is leaking around any of the gaskets, ect... and you'll want to clean everything including the cylinder fins to make sure the engine can cool properly. I need to do mine before spring.

6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 17s with the lowsy placement of the air filter and have never had this problem. I change my plugs once a season or so.

Be very sure to take off the cover and clean the cooling fins. This is very important.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

can you expound on why you believe this? thanks.

GEO :confused:

8. naturescape

It's happened on both my machines, ExM and Bunton, both with the same style engine (and I've heard lots of other complaints about that engine with that style air filter on here.).

For example, the Bunton I bought new in Spring 05. -- After about 1 month of use, the engine would run a bit rough and start (it looked like) burning oil. I believe the front mount air filter just gets dirty VERY fast, and the resulting rich mixture of fuel causes the plugs to foul immediately thereafter. Then the plugs and filter both need changing. And no, I don't change the filter every week. But it was never any problem on my machines with other Kaw's.

The newer 17 hp Kaw's have the filter bolted up on top, I'm sure it doesn't collect NEAR as much dirt.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 15 KAI engine and the air filter gets dirty as hell quick! 2 or 3 hours and it needs to be cleaned especially if Im using my bagger. That is something I've never liked about any of the Kaws I've owned. They all get dirty really fast.

10. naturescape

I've had 14 hp Kaws and they did get dirty (I guess that's the point of the air cleaner LOL), but never enough to affect the way the engine would run (at least so one could notice) in a month or so.