want to do some work to the old girl

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so i have a 1999 GMC sierra 1500 4x4 z71, it has a regular cab and short bed. i want to remove the bed and install a flatbed with sides and ramps for smaller equipment. like a few guys have done on here with their ranger's and rams. what is involved in removing the bed? and can i just install 2 trailer lights hooked to the trailer harness until i can make a more permanent solution for the signals?

as for attaching the flatbed to the truck, i am pretty handy with fabrication and am familiar with a welder and have friends who are well versed in welding. should i weld the flatbed crossmembers to the truck's frame, or should i assemble the support structure for the flatbed(bottom square steel tubing) and then bolt it on to the truck, and build up from the base platform? what about the bumper? can i leave it on, or should fab up something. then what about the trailer hitch? it is frame mounted, where the bumper attaches, can i leave it in place or do i have to come up with a solution for that as well? i want to make this as easy as possible, and as inexpensive as possible, but i'm not gonna skimp out on materials, cause i want a nice finished look.

and ideas?
  2. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Taking off the bed is no big deal use an impact and you can have it off in under 30 min. I always wanted to build a flatbed, but with the price of materials these days unless you can get a deal on steal I think it might be cheaper to buy one thats close to what you want then modify the way you want it. good luck
  3. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

Either way I'd make it all bolt on with no welding to the frame because you never know if you'll change your mind and want a regular truck again or if you wanted to put the body on a different truck.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, just buy a flatbed and modify, also Just bolt it on. Avoid welding to the frame... Not to say it can't be done though.

And don't call a '99 OLD please! I have a 2000 and I still consider it pretty NEW! Of course it still looks new... Right now it's sort of in pieces though. Putting a 3" lift under it!
  5. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

I'll agree on that. Mine's a 97 with 149k on it so far. Still looking good though.
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How about a 96 with 122K. Weld up some brackets that will bolt from the flatbed to the pickup. How handy would a 6 1/2 flatbed really be?