Want to drop customer I seriously dislike dealing with, professionally. How?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DLM155, Feb 6, 2012.

1. DLM155

DLM155 LawnSite Member

Have a customer I truely hate dealing with. I don't want to try and renegotiate prices up to a point I think he will not pay, I just want to drop him cold-turkey. He is quite wealthy and I think hes been through most of the other companies in my area and would likely pay up. I don't want his money, he isn't worth it. I don't want to do this unprofessionally as we work by reputation and I don't know who he knows. I don't want to play the ignore his phone calls game, either.

We have no contracts and neither of us have a debt/balance for one another. Suggestions? Advice is much appreciated. This will be the first customer I drop for something other than non-payment.

2. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just be honest and tell him you will no longer be able to perform his services for him. Go the extra mile and find a couple of numbers to give to him to call. Make sure you give him enough notice (2 weeks). Just tell him you two have different opinions and you think it's best he find someone else.

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Send a letter.

Mr So and So

This year I have made some changes with my route and unfortunately I will no longer be able to service your property.

Thank you for your business

Signed
    Lawn guy

4. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

I cancelled a customer last year. The way I went about it was, I went to his house and told him that unfortunately I could not handle their account anymore. They asked why and I was honest. No matter what you do he could still give you a bad name, thats why most of us just deal with the headache customers and just make it a quick trip. Sometimes you have to take the jit to the rep or bite the bullet. I would say if he ponies up more bux then try that first and see if it changes what you are willing to deal with.

5. arninglawns

arninglawns LawnSite Member

That has also worked well for me in the past. Email or snail mail, so you don't have to talk to him. Don't leave an opening for him to ask why or offer more cash.

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some what a customer like that last year, Pain in the behind

Picked up the phone one day and told him I wont be servicing him anymore ! he seemed shocked and asked why ? my answer was : I have my own reasons and I dont want to discuss it at the moment

After I hung up the phone it felt so good its like a weight off my shoulders I really hated working for him.

7. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I would sent a letter. Get e-mail addresses from every-one from now on. Save a Bundle on stamps. Send out your invoices by e-mail pdf.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Why not be simple: We will no longer be servicing your property.

Trying to paste it over with "route changes" is bogus. You know it, he knows it, ... fooling nobody.

I have done this with a few over the many years, and nobody ever returned with questions. Let's face it, grass cutters are a dime a dozen. He knows after getting your letter, a new cutter is only a phone call away. If you were offering something unique, and he was in a bind to find a replacement, that is another story. But, grass cutters .... not so much.

9. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I call them and tell them that I truly appreciate their business but that beginning next month I will no longer be servicing their area. I will service you this month at no charge but you will need to have a new service provider by the first of next month.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Just tell him you are overbooked and need to let him go. Done.