1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Want to increase business? - A Discourse

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting, Oct 24, 2008.

1. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I was driving around my beloved Muskoka today and I had a thought. A really interesting, good thought if I may say so.

What could we do, individually and collectively, to increase the importance and necessity for quality, professionally designed and installed outdoor lighting systems in all markets of North America. (I like to think BIG!)

Well here is one way:

A: Start by calling on your home insurance company. Or better yet develop a "one pager" fact sheet and send it to them. Inform the insurance industry that residential properties that have professional outdoor lighting systems are safer, and more secure. Those homes that have outdoor lighting systems should be given a break on the insurance policy premiums. They are less likely to have trip / slip & fall accidents, and they are less likely to be broken into. (We have all been preaching this information to our clients for years, why not to the insurance industry?)

B: Organize! Lets get our industry "on message"! Get the AOLP to form a committee. Start plastering this information to the entire insurance industry. Then start pressing local and state/provincial governments to back our cause for safer, more secure communities. Make this our industry's mantra for the next decade.

I am certain there is a case for this type of PR and Lobbying campaign. By having the insurance industry essentially endorse our work as necessary to ensure a safe and secure property we will see demand for our services skyrocket.

Look at what drivers education programs tied to auto insurance rates has done for that sector. Here in Canada, the Province of Quebec has made it a law that ALL automobiles registered in that province MUST use Snow/Winter tires from Nov 15th to April 15th. Guess what? I cannot find a set of Michelin X-Ice tires for my wife's new van ANYWHERE! They all went to Quebec!

By educating the insurance industry of the benefits of our systems we could stand to make outdoor lighting a necessity rather then a luxury.

So, who wants to join me in this? I think we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. What do you think?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I worked for a landscape maintenance company for a short time and one of their condominium complex clients received an anonymous letter that claimed it was from one of the residents and included photos of trip hazards and slip hazards from an antiquated and leaky sprinkler system.

The letter, adressed to the HOA board, demanded action be taken or they would report these to the liability insurance carrier...

I'm not sure if the letter came from a resident/owner or someone in the landscape company, but it seemed like it could be an interesting strategy to drum up work...
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I like this idea. It could definately benifit us! I just may go visit a couple insurance compnaies monday. I have friends in a couple!
  4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Any Movement starts with one step forward. Way to go Ryan.

I am going to start working on a Fact Sheet this weekend.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Thanks, im going to work on one as well.
  6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Here is what the Executive Director of Landscape Ontario wrote to me in an email regarding this idea:

Hi James
    Amazing idea! We have great connections with the insurance industry so we know where to start. Let's spend some time planning at the next meeting.
  7. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

I have done numerous searches on this very subject. I have found that it varies from state to state. Sheriff in Texas endorses outdoor lighting as a theft deterrent. There was a municipality that was requiring all communities have some form of outdoor lighting for the same reason. I can't remember where exactly where it was though. I also read an article that referred the reader to check w/there insurance company for discounts for owning outdoor lighting, much like a security system. Seems like a natural fit to me, I will start with my local agent and see what he has to say.
  8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Thanks Steve... I seem to recall seeing a video from about 8 to 10 years ago that showed the effectiveness of low level, multi-point lighting VS soffit mounted flood lights. In the video an "intruder" was walking around the perimiter of the home. In the example with the outdoor lighting system, the intruder's motion was clearly visible, in the example with the glare bombs, the visibility of the intruder was hampered by deep shadows and glare.

Anyone know where the source of this video might be?

Have a great day.
  9. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

James I have searched "crime prevention with landscape lighting" and found several police dept. recommendations. There is also an organization that goes by CPTED crime prevention through environmental design that talks about lighting. I haven't found anything that really goes into great detail about the lighting yet.
  10. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

not to put a fly in the ointment but what is the typical number of hours landscape lighting turn on? And further what is time do most break in occur.

Sounds like we may have another upsale. multiple motion detectors installed along with photocells.