1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Want to learn how to cut lawns properly and proffesionally

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarkAJ311, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MarkAJ311

MarkAJ311 LawnSite Member

But, at this time I don't have the ability to go out and do the lawns. I'm looking for a book, or something online that can teach me all about landscaping and lawn mowing and how to do everything professionally and correct. If you have anything that can help me out please post. Thanks!
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Just start reading here. It'll be your best resource.
  3. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Go to work part-time w/ a lawn co. No investment on your part, make a little dough, and gain experience (after which you can determine if you want to go in it 4 yourself).
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Work for someone else doing it for while. Or buy a commercial mower and practice on your own lawn. Any other route and you'll be one of the many jokes I see out there butchering lawns, quitting mid-season, or otherwise giving us all a bad rep.
  5. turfcaster

turfcaster LawnSite Member

I see you are in Tampa, I did some work down there recently. There is some real LCOs down there that actually know what they are doing. I would go get a job with one of the big companies that actually has proper training, not some dude with a truck and gear who figured it out himself or learned from some other bozo who figured it out himself.

I am sure Tampa has many big multi-crew companies.

I was fortunate enough to learn at Grand Cypress Golf Resort in Orlando years ago and have worked for a few other big companies. I have also worked for people who taught themselves or were taught wrong themselves.

Mowing is simple for the most part. Edging and weedeating is simple too,once you learn a fewfool proof pattern techniques. Edging is also the easiest thing to do entirely wrong.

Most of the hedgetrimming I saw in Tampa was excellent ,which is cool.

I did a lot of work in the Ocala area and noticed about 95% of the hedgetrimming is done entirely wrong there. Lots of shaved St.augustine and very bad edging too in that area also. I think that is due to not much REAL training in that area. No big LCOs that I know of there. I know a few guys in Ocala that know whats up though,not many at all though.

Orlando has a bunch of good big and small LCOs, I am sure Tampa does too.