Want to mulch more

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Paulsen, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I have a Walker with GHS 48" but want to mulch. Would you put a mulching deck on the Walker or buy an Exmark? Walker getting tired. Want the best look after the cut.

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I first would keeep the walker,,, you will allways need a back up and engines are cheap ... if you going too mulch buy a a mid mount exmarks,toro,dixie all are great .. or try a hustler z or a farris can't good wrong in any direction.i would keep the walker it's paid for ? and don't eat much.

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 12-12-2000 at 05:18 PM]

3. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

plan to keep the walker for spring clean up, long grass and fall clean up. wanted to know more about mulch deck abilty verses the exmarks.

4. Dan Stoms

Dan Stoms LawnSite Member

Keep the Walker. If You're thinking about gitting another mower anyway get a Scag with the deck that you can mulch side discharge or bag all in one.Depends on dealer location. I don't have one but the adds make it sound good. I hope to have one before I quit one day.

5. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

That Scag Cougar is a rip off. Cost's $10,500 + tax and it has the dreaded 25hp Kohler. I would either get the 42" Walker mulching deck or the 52" deck with the mulching kit. If your mower is dying put a new engine in it this winter. The 52" and 42" deck are supposed to mulch very good according to my distributer. A thing to think about is the 42" will float better and only cost about $1,400 or so. The 52" is a heavier deck and costs $2,300 or so with the mucl kit. I would not bother buy a Lazer unless you want to set the Lazer up to mulch and keep the Walker for strictly bagging.

Just my .02 Hope it helps. If you have any questions e-mail me.

6. mike

mike LawnSite Member

I suggest keeping the Walker & having repairs done on frame section & motor this winter & if needed, purchase new deck for next year with mulching kit. That keeps the dependability of the mower & you still have a beautiful cut with the mower, but not at the NEW MOWER cost.