Lawn Care Forum banner

Want to POWER WASH? - READ THIS 1st

66K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  RealCleanNow 
#1 ·
I operate both a landscaping company as well as a power washing company. These are some quick tips to preserve the professionalism and price points in powerwashing. Remember, you guys know as well as I do that it sucks to loose a lawn to someone cutting any size lawn for $20. It goes the same for power washers loosing a $300-400+ job to someone who will attempt to do it for 100 bucks or less. $40-50 per man hour may be ok for lawns which are a repetitive business (weekly or bi-weekly, $1000+ over the season per customer) but its not enough for powerwashing which will only be an annual or bi-annual service. Please read these tips and do some research. WE ALL want to remain professional AND profitable in each of our own trades.

1) Washing of vinyl siding should be done with low pressure high volume. This means use of tips other than the colored tips that come with the washer. Homeowner pressure washers typically do not provide enough volume of water. You can recoup the cost of lower end commercial equip with 3 or so jobs (priced correctly)

2) If you are doing this correctly with proper equipment and chemicals you DO NOT need a ladder. 99% of the time you can clean up to 3 stories from the ground using the right equipment, chemicals and nozzles.

3) Household bleach, jomax M1 and other off the shelf chemicals while somewhat effective dont allow for use of low pressure. You should be using 12% sodium Hypochlorite mixed with surfactants and detergents. The darkest mold and mildew will literally melt from the siding with garden hose pressure.

4) You should be aiming for AT LEAST $100+++ per HOUR. Dont price by the hour though. 275-400+ per job average. To some of you out there this may seem crazy but people are happy to pay this sum for effective safe professional results. There home is their largest investment. For guys out there doing lawns remember your typical customer will pay you aprox $1000+ to mow their grass over the season why would it be unreasonable for them to pay 300-700 to have a clean home every year or two.

There is a wealth of helpful folks and info at the power washing forums www.ptstate.com

See less See more
#28 ·
I thought I used low pressure at 3-400psi on vinyl siding, but Mike is the king of low pressure power washing.

Barry Maddox
Midwest Pro Wash
Power Washing Goshen, IN and Low Pressure Roof Cleaning Contractor
Barry, your website is the king of pressure washing websites! I use to use around 400-500 psi, but then by chance I called Mike K. Last year, and he knows his stuff. I now use 50-100 psi, get it done much quicker, and make alot more money!

#29 ·
In your post you said you could clean up to three stories without leaving the ground. Could you tell me what kind of equipment, chemicals and nozzles you are using? Can you also clean the Roof (asphalt) with the same equipment and method? I have been reading that a lot of people use a 12v DC pump to apply the chemcals and to rinse, but, If you had, let's say a PW with 5.6gpm or 8gpm @ 3000psi could you not tone it down so it will work just as well, if not better? Or I'm I missing something here? It seams a lot of people have trouble with there 12v systems from what I have been reading on other sights, just thought a gas PW would work better and I do understand that you do not won't high pressure on the roof. Please be patient with me as I am new to all of this. If anyone else cares to chime in I am all ears. Thanks everyone.

#30 ·
In your post you said you could clean up to three stories without leaving the ground. Could you tell me what kind of equipment, chemicals and nozzles you are using? Can you also clean the Roof (asphalt) with the same equipment and method? I have been reading that a lot of people use a 12v DC pump to apply the chemcals and to rinse, but, If you had, let's say a PW with 5.6gpm or 8gpm @ 3000psi could you not tone it down so it will work just as well, if not better? Or I'm I missing something here? It seams a lot of people have trouble with there 12v systems from what I have been reading on other sights, just thought a gas PW would work better and I do understand that you do not won't high pressure on the roof. Please be patient with me as I am new to all of this. If anyone else cares to chime in I am all ears. Thanks everyone.
No need to answer my questions, just read the answers. thanks to Michael Kreisle.

#31 ·
Only way to clean a roof using a power washer and still beable to use low pressure is with an Xjet. Still not the best way to do it. The reason you can't just power wash it on is because by the time that you downstream on your chemicals it would be to weak of a mix. 12volt system will keep your mix good and strong.

#33 ·
I don't powerwash anything but my home and driveway, and some family's. My father bought a powerwasher about 10 yrs ago (a cheap $400 craftsjunk) and told me to powerwash his house (ranch style) and driveway(I had to teach myself). I buy a gallon of the vinyl-siding detergent or concrete detergent, mix it according to the directions, stick the suction hose of the powerwasher into the 5 gallon bucket and set the wand to dispense the soap. I spray about a 10 ft area or so and wait a few minutes then turn the wand to the powerwashing function and blast away, using a fan style pattern. BUT all the dirt doesn't come off...there are times where I have to actually scrub the siding with a scrub brush and then powerwash it. I did a friends home once..that hadn't ever been done. This house was only about 25ft off the road so the front porch was EXTREMELY filthy...I have never seen such filth. Looked like the house went mudding in the woods. I was going to clean all the windows for him but the outside was so filthy I suggested powerwashing it first. I spent like 5 hours just on the porch area which is like 10ft tall by about 50 ft long. How the heck are you guys cleaning these homes so fast and with no power? I certainly don't want to do this for a living, I leave that up to you pros...I just want to be able to clean my home, family, friends, and driveways.

I plan to buy a machine from PRESSURETEK along with a surface cleaner(probably like a 4000 psi, 4-6gpm cold water unit).

I have never been able to just apply detergent and then just rinse it off with garden hose-type pressure and get clean WHITE vinyl-siding. To do a 900 sq ft ranch (my dads) would take the better part of 4-5hrs, to get it clean, not halfassing it.

I would appreciate some help here...as to what chemical to use and how to do it.

#34 ·
My recommendation to you would be the same I would give any home owner that does it themselves ... It would not be cost effective to buy the contractor grade equipment just to clean your own house. Your money would be better spent hiring a professional Power Wash Company to do the cleaning for you .... The equipment isn't cheap and I see a lot of people who don't know how to use the equipment that end up causing damage to the house. However, if you do go on to buy the equipment from PressureTek, Bob will be able to sell you some good cleaning solutions as well. Until then, if you want some more help, you can give me a call some time. I'd be happy to help.

#35 ·
Cleaning Vinyl Siding doesn't require enough pressure to break it. I use only 100psi... Yes 100, not 1000, not 2000, not 3000, not 4000.
You let the Bleach change the pigmet in the Mold?

Does it effectively rinse the dead stuff off, I have seen the mold come back in a very short period of time.

How about chems to prevent the mildew from coming back, up charges for that stuff.

Alot of Landscapers have the license to spray chems. This whole roof cleaning indsutry could be huge in the landscapers add on.

I see the future that Landscapers will be taking a piece of the pie.

Good luck to all the roof guys!!!!!!!!

#36 ·
My recommendation to you would be the same I would give any home owner that does it themselves ... It would not be cost effective to buy the contractor grade equipment just to clean your own house. Your money would be better spent hiring a professional Power Wash Company to do the cleaning for you .... The equipment isn't cheap and I see a lot of people who don't know how to use the equipment that end up causing damage to the house. However, if you do go on to buy the equipment from PressureTek, Bob will be able to sell you some good cleaning solutions as well. Until then, if you want some more help, you can give me a call some time. I'd be happy to help.
I agree Pat, network with these guys and take the Biz. Let them cut lawns and we keep pressure washing.

#41 ·
Great info as usual guys...I added PW to my lawn business 2 years ago and it has been a great add on service. This forum along with ptstate.com is a great place to learn.

#43 ·
Living in the Portland, OR area, there is a lot of emphasis on environmentally safe treatments. Using the roof and excessive moss and black algae as an example. Does anyone have any take on WashSafe Roof Wash or any other eco friendly chemistry and or is it just better to stick with the chemical solutions commonly used? Basically, is there an eco friendly wash detergent that can really do the job, without the worries of bleach streaking and such?

#45 ·
Do you have a suggestion for washing a wood shingle ocean front home that gets a weekly coating of grit and grease from the sea? I would like to be able to stand on the ground and wash it with a soapy water spray. The house is not stained, it just gets a bit greasy after a big storm. I have been using an orchard sprayer but it doesn't work very well.
Thanks for reading this and any suggestions you might have. This island is only accessible by boat which makes hiring people to do various tasks a challenge.

#47 ·
Lawn and landscape guy here doing my homework to see if I can create pressure washing as an add on service. thanks for the info, and im doing my searching/reading now. Looking forward to more great info

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.