Want to provide me with a link on the UL rating of multi-strand?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Mar 23, 2008.

1. I've always been suspicious of the underground burial rating of 18ga multi-strand. The wire coating seems really flimsy and once the main cover jacket is opened nothing prevents moisture from entering into the jacket around the multi-colored wires. We all know that wire coating has imperfections. What gives 18ga multi-strand its direct burial rating? Wouldn't the outer covering have to be resealed after a splice to regain its UL rating? I did some research and didn't find anything specific. Won't change anything but it is just a nagging issue I've had that somebody can clear up for me.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The writing on the wire :)
  3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Fimco has a good point.

Once you open up the outer jacket to wire up a maniold, i.e. in a manifolded valve box, water will and can get inside, thus negating the UL rating?

But, we all know that valve boxes NEVER leak and/or fill up with water :laugh:
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

UL 486D

1 Scope

1.1 The requirements in this standard cover sealed wire connector systems, including insulating caps, covers, resins, tubing, and tapes provided with, or for use with, specific wire connectors. These systems are intended for wet or damp locations, and other installations such as direct burial, below grade, or above grade where protected from direct exposure to sunlight. The wire connectors covered by these requirements are intended for use with copper conductor, aluminum conductor, or both in accordance with installations covered by the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70; the Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, C22.1; and NOM 001 SEDE, Standard for Electrical Installations.These wire connector systems have not been evaluated for direct exposure to sunlight. Additional performance considerations to show equivalency to the connected conductors should be considered for UV exposure.These wire connector systems may also be used indoors.

1.2 These requirements also cover sealed wire connector systems intended for use with single or multiple conductor underground feeder cable, golf course sprinkler cable, underground low energy cable, irrigation cable, or other cable with insulation acceptable for direct burial, below grade use, or wet locations.

1.3 These requirements apply to sealed wire connector systems intended for use with 30 AWG (0.05 mm2) through 2 000 kcmil (1 012 mm2) conductors with currents not exceeding the ampacity of insulated conductors rated either 75 °C (167 °F) or 90 °C (194 °F) and intended for use at 600 V or less.

1.4 For products intended for use in Canada, general requirements are given in CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 0.
  5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you ever really run into issues with water in multi conductor cables? Or was there something else going on too, like nicks from someone stripping the jacket badly or rodents or non-waterproof connectors?

I've actually encountered more problems with UV degradation of wire jackets, of both the colored 18-22 gauge multi-conductor cables and the white solenoid leads of (for instance) above ground Richdel A/S valves... the plastic tends to crack and flake off after a few years...

I never locate A/S valves on a south or west facing full sun location (wall mounted clocks either for that matter) if it's avoidable.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When I contacted Irritrol (Toro) about an issue regarding the 'Richdel' solenoids, the rep mentioned that some changes had been made from when it was manufactured by Hardie, the wire insulation being one of them. I still don't think they're as weatherproof as they could be.

One possible reason for irrigation cable having a 600V rating is that control cables can sometimes find themselves in conduits or trays with power wires carrying 480 Volts, and I believe the smaller control cables need a voltage rating that exceeds any of the voltages in the tray or conduit.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

How true, but some people's boxes do take water & herein lies the only
    problem I've had w/multi...water will degrade the color, so will u.v.
    Other than that, when multi came out, I dropped to my knees...knowing
    Divine intervention had occurred. I've only used Paige Electric wire, less
    kinks, best quality control. http://www.paigeelectric.com
  8. Interesting link Mike.
    For those who want to add some "SMART" to their talk go to this page and read the info.
    DW needs to read the paragraph on elongation.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Good paige (nyuk-nyuk) ~ note the Cal-Trans use of a braided overlay to protect the cable from rodents.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Sitting in water for a year or two does tend to make 1/2 the wires look brown.