Want to pull mulching kit. Not sure?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by h400exinfl, Jul 17, 2008.

1. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I've had the mulching kit on all winter, it was great, less cleanup and no discharge into the flower beds. Now, we're getting 2-4 inches a week of rain, and the grass is growing 3 or more inches a week and I can't mow slow enough. It feels like I'm back behind my first push mower, and if I speed up at all it leaves a horrible cut with little strips of uncut or half cut grass all over the place. Blades are sharp and I've tried gator blades as well. Doesn't help, the augustine is just too thick. So, has anyone ever done this mid season and how much hell did you catch from the homeowners?

2. cgll1135

cgll1135 LawnSite Member

just pull it!

3. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Yah, it's way slowing us down. I'll keep the mulch kit on the phazer 34 and send that into the tight spots between houses and flower beds.

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i would keep it and get the exmark wave blades. much better mulching w/ a cleaner cut than a highlift in southern turf. i guess its important how often the lawn is cut, i have some that are cut once per week but they are watered and fertilized very well so i need the mulch kit.

5. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I take mine off once the rains start

6. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I took mine off about three weeks ago and it works a lot better.

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya, i have a 52in scag turf tiger and i took mine off weeks ago. there are only a few yards that i use the mulch plate because of the landscape beds. i do like 3 passes along the beds before i start blowing grass back towards the beds, if i leaver any clumps or excess grass clipping on the lawn then i use the blower and spread them out. works good.

8. dura to the max

from georgia

my biggest problem w/ making 3 passes blowing away from the bed it the fact that you now have more grass localized rather than spread like it should during discharge. also it prohibits me from striping lawns.

9. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

seems to me this type of grass don't stripe very well, basicly leaves lines from tire marks, st. augustine and bahia...at least my lines are straight!

10. dura to the max

from georgia

depends on the mower, my tthp stripes both of these great w/ a proslide, or at least as good as you can get southern grass.