1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Want to replace my hybrid bermuda with some sort of Zoysia... what type to use?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Threxx, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I live in the Memphis, TN area. I've got a 1 season old Hybrid Bermuda lawn that is pretty well filled in (was rolled sod), but I just don't like it. I want Zoysia; looks so much nicer to me than the Bermuda we have, plus I hear it is great for not allowing weeds entry, once it's established.

The problem is that there seems to be several varieties of Zoysia out there and even different 'brands' of each those varieties - does a brand of grass really matter?

With that said, I don't really care about cost; I just want whatever breed of Zoysia is going to make my lawn look like a golf course without me actually following a golf course maintenance schedule. lol

One of the members on this site - 65Hoss, I had him do some work for me this past fall and he mentioned "Palisade Zoysia", but after searching the 'net I can find hardly any mention of it out there and the places I do see it mentioned are all in the Memphis area which makes me think it might just be a 'brand' of one of the major varieties...?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the ones we use are the wider leafed zoysia's

mainly the meyer or it's derivatives
    we use crown, el toro, and meyer's....

they all are basically the same and i cannot tell the difference between them...

these grasses are awesome.. except in wet poorly drained areas.....

make sure you mow weekly and have sharp blades..
  3. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Well I do have a portion of my yard that retains standing water for 12-24 hours after heavy rains (say maybe 4-5 times a year). Is that enough to screw with the Zoysia growth there, or no?

Thanks for your help.:)
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

should not be a problem at all....
    what it does not like is consistantly wet areas....

we refer to it as " super" grass.....
    it is so thick that it chokes out about all the weeds.. it is awesome
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The reason you don't see much about Palisades is that one of the major turf farms here bought the rights to it. They get to decide who can grow it and who can't. They have the market cornered in the south. Its not a "brand" but an actual different type. Its got some enhancements that Meyer and others don't have. It also has a few drawbacks. It does look like Meyer though. I pm'd you my cell number, we can discuss all this if you want.