Want To Start Spraying in V.T, Need a Small Rig Where Do i buy? Gilsonite?Please HELP

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by larry_chip, Mar 29, 2006.

1. larry_chip

larry_chip LawnSite Member

I Live in Burlington Vermont & I Wanted to start spraying residential driveways, Alot of my cussin's spray but they don't live around here & so i'm starting by my self, I Spoke to my uncle & He said all i need is a 50 to 60 gal take, & He said that I Should use Gilsonite (Didn't spell that right) because it is the easyest for beginners like me, he says that the Watermoton is harder to do & After i've had a year or two i could move up to that.

I've been reading this forum all day & I Don't understand why everyone who sprays residential driveways uses such big tanks (200+Gal) I Was told that 50 to 60 gal would do the job just fine?

What I Need is a Starter Kit with a small tank I Liked the at Star Seal Of Ohio at http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/sealcoat-rig.html but with a smaller tank & I'm not sure if this is watermotion or gilsonite? where can i buy a system like this with a long hose & maybe a Hose Wheel for under 1000.00? any used systems out there? I'm in Burlington & I'm willing to drive to Albany or to Boston Area to pick one up, Please help out & Let me know which is better to start with & if the smaller 50gal would do the job.

Thank You Very Much

I Also know that i need some mops,A Good Leaf Blower.

2. Gilsonite is not a sealer, its a solvent based rejuvinator. It is banned in a lot of places because of its VOC. It should not be applied by an amateur and requires professional equipment. If you apply it wrong, you will disolve the driveway and turn it to mush and end up having to foot the bill for a new driveway. Those star seal rigs are garbage and are not professional seal coating rigs. Get a round, metal tank. The reason for larger rigs is so you can spend less time driving around for sealer and more time doing jobs. You have to think of the gas and time you will spend driving to Albany or Boston just to get sealer. 50-60 gallons sealer will do like 2-3 driveways at most.
    Start with a coal-tar or asphalt emulsion sealer, more room for error and its almost impossible to ruin pavement with it. Doing shoddy work, using gilsonite and not knowing much about the business before diving into it is what gives legit contractors a bad name.

3. larry_chip

Okay So What's the deal with coal-tar or asphalt emulsion sealer is it the same short of sealer? & Is the water motion harder? please all info helps.

Also I Have a 95 F150 & I Wanted to have it in the bed rather then towing it in a trailer, so what size could fit in the bed?

4. linepainter

linepainter LawnSite Member

I am not a sealcoater but I am a striper, since you live in Vermont who belongs to the new OTC laws, you better due A LOT of research on the products that you use. You are not permitted to use ANY oil based product with more than 250 grams of VOCs. If or better WHEN you get caught, you will loose everything and most of the time spend time in jail. They are not playing around with this new bunch of laws. Do your research and have a good year.

Jim:usflag:

5. larry_chip

so what oil based dose have 250 or less grams of VOC, how can i find out about the laws in my local area?

6. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

Material Safety Data Sheet(Gilsonite sealer)
    MSDS NO. 90-11.5

1. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

GSB-88 -APPEARANCE AND ODOR: BROWN(black) LIQUID WITH SLIGHT RESINOUS ODOR

HAZARD RATING: HEALTH 1
    FIRE 0
    REACTIVITY 0

ANSI: CAUTION! MAY CAUSE EYE AND SKIN IRRITATION.

2.HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS

INGREDIENT CAS NO. PERCENT TLV PEL
    GILSONITE 12002-43-6 PROPRIETARY 5mg/m3 N/E
    AROMATIC OIL 64747-53-6 INFORMATION .2mg/m3 N/E
    PETROLEUM ASPHALT 8052-42-4 5mg/m3 N/E
    ADDITIVES N/A N/E N/E
    WATER 7732-18-5 N/E N/E

3.OVERVIEW

GSB-88 IS A COLLOIDAL DISPERSION OF GILSONITE, ASPHALT, AND AROMATIC OIL IN WATER AND ADDITIVES. AFTER THE WATER HAS BEEN REMOVED, AND TEMPERATURE OF THE BITUMEN EXCEEDS 400 DEGREES F(204 DEGREES C), MAY BURN IF IGNITED. THE PRODUCT CONTAINS SMALL AMOUNTS OF ADDITIVES, WHICH CAN VARY IN COMPOSITION QUANTITIES. THESE ADDITIVES ARE NOT HAZARDOUS IN THE SMALL QUANTITIES USED.

4. PHYSICAL DATA

DESCRIPTION: DARK BROWN LIQUID, RESINOUS ODOR
    BOILING POINT: 212 DEGREES F
    (100 DEGREES C)
    VAPOR PRESSURE: 23.7 mm OF Hg AT 77 DEGREES F (25 DEGREES C)
    VAPOR DENSITY: 0.62
    SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100%
    SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.02
    PERCENT VOLATILE BY VOLUME: 32-42
    EVAPORATION RATE: N/D

5. FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA

FLASH POINT (CLOSED CUP): NONE UNLESS WATER IS REMOVED
    EXPLOSIVE LIMITS: N/D
    AUTO IGNITION TEMP: N/D
    FIRE POINT: N/D
    EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: DRY CHEMICAL, WATER, FOAM, CO2
    HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: CARBON MONOXIDE AND CARBON DIOXIDE
    SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES: IF ENTERING A CONFINED AREA, FIRE FIGHTERS SHOULD WEAR A NIOSH APPROVED SELF-CONTAINED BREATHING APPARATUS
    UNUSUAL FIRE & EXPLOSION HAZARDS: MAY FOAM IF HEATED ABOVE 212 DEGREES F (100 DEGREES C)

7. larry_chip

What Dose that ^^^ Mean?, I Don't understand?

what's the name of the sealer I Need?

8. juddburdon

juddburdon LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey Larry,

If you want to use oil based sealer the brand is usually called "Black Mac" or just "Petroleum Based Sealer" or "Oil Based Sealer".

The best thing to do is find out what your city permits in regards to sealer. Many cities do not permit oil based sealer to be applied for environmental reasons. You can call 'city hall' to find out the answer to this. They should have this information ;)

Have you already purchase a sealing system? If so what kind of system do you have? Important to know this before you buy ANY product as certain spray systems are ONLY compatible with certain sealers.

All the best to you! :waving:

9. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

10. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

Texas Refinery Corp.
    look under, Protective Coatings, Blacktop maintenance
    QUICK-DRY (gilsonite)