Want to Start , too young?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nmez21, Nov 8, 2005.

1. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I just turned 14 and since I was 8 I have loved mowing, trimming, and anything landscaping. I stripe and do designs with a normal ease. I do it religiously through the family but i want more. I want to start a little cutting and mtnc. business but i have no mode of transportation, and i live a mile out of town. I've mowed neighbors lawns but they have too much pride to let someone mow it full time. Im not able to get the right insurance to work for someone else till' im 18. I just love to do what i do and do it right. Does anyone have any suggestions ? thanks in advance.
    nm

2. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

14 that is a little too young to start a business and if you have no means of transportation it really hard. I would say if you can find some one to pay under the table and go from there or if you have clients lined up then maybe start your business. Just wait and enjoy being young and worry about work when the time comes.

3. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Go for it man. I started learning the trade when I was 8. I stated in my mid-late teens and am doing pretty well. The biggest part was that I liked what I was doing. If you are up to it, good for you. Remember that in the 1800's, it was not uncommon for a 14 year-old to have a lot of responsibility placed on his shoulders. Too often we wait until our twenties to figure out we could have done it in our teens. In Irael, the boys are allowed to start businesses at 13.

I used an old 1948 Ford 8N farm tractor before I got a pickup. It worked great, and got me places that my pickup couldn't. As long as I was doing something pertaining to the land, I called it agriculture and dodged all the cops legally.

4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Im 15 and cant drive so I load everything up in my little trailer and tow it around the hood. with my lawnmower.

5. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

I say go for it. I had a little batter situation, wheres I lived in a 200 home subdivision, but by my 8th grade year I had 8 regulars. I would walk up and down the street with the 21in. and edger/weedeater/blower combo. Great business. Hey where else can you make $30.00/hour in 8th grade. One big thing though is pricing correctly, because if you don't you hurt the whole industry plus you aren't helping your self. Have fun. Just don't miss your childhood. Good luck.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

get a few yards to mow, and make a few extra buck, dont be too cheap, and do anice job. Dont get too serious yet, enjoy being a kid while you can, its over soon enough.

Just get a few home in you neighborhood, just stay away from trying to get commercial jobs, for that you should be insured and all.....

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Been going at it since i was 10. My dad has driven me since then and next summer ill be getting my lisence and my own truck, can't wait!! The transportation is the #1 thing IMO when your young and cant get insurance and all those goodies. Ask a parent and go from there. I started with a honda 21, weedeater trimmer, and push broom. I have grown quite a bit since then and wouldn't give this up for anything! Good luck with everything and youll sure learn alot from this site.

8. stevegeraldo

stevegeraldo LawnSite Member

young man you have a lot of heart your, parents must be very proud of you.I started at 8 or 9 enjoyed it just like you, still do maybe even more diffirince is I lived in a area were homes were close together id push my mower down the street mow the lawn in one direction blowing the clippings out in the street then used a push broom to put them all togther LOL .maybe you can get a few jobs in a cluster,and get a ride into town then when your done, get a ride back?.(why not) young fella,with talent & drive that you show at such a young age you will always be a super in my book! steve :)

9. stevegeraldo

stevegeraldo LawnSite Member

young man you have a lot of heart your, parents must be very proud of you.I started at 8 or 9 enjoyed it just like you, still do maybe even more diffirince is I lived in a area were homes were close together id push my mower down the street mow the lawn in one direction blowing the clippings out in the street then used a push broom to put them all togther LOL .maybe you can get a few jobs in a cluster,and get a ride into town then when your done, get a ride back?.(why not) young fella,with talent & drive that you show at such a young age you will always be a super star in my book! steve :)

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

There is allways a hardship drivers licens.....

you will have to pay an attorney, and dimonstrate your driving skills..

But it's my understanding that it's not very expensive... like 3 to 400.00