1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Want you're opinion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KDJ, Sep 16, 2001.

1. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'am a part time lawn care professional (15-20) hr per week.
    I take this very serious and run it like it's my only source of income. Now for all that is capable here is my question.
    I am ready to purchase a new trimmer. Right now I have employed a 31cc Ryobi ( OK hold the laughter down ) I bought this trimmer back in 1996. With 3-4 hrs per weak use, I would guess I have over 1000 hrs on this with only two minor repairs.
    So to get to the point I can buy a new one for 108.00 at that price and the hours I got out of it. 108.00 into 1000 hrs=10.8 per hr this seems to be a good value. Did I just get lucky? How many hrs can I get out of a higher end trimmer?
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Have you ever tried a commercial trimmer before? I have owned a Ryobi also..... Yes, not the only silly purchase I have made, but there is no comparison. A commercial grade Trimmer is made to last and last, no doubt it should outlast the homeowner eddition. Aside from that the time savings, a commercial trimmer allows you to go so much quicker then a Ryobi. I can walk as fast as I can, and the trimmer will keep pace slaying all those pesky blades in it's path. My Ryobi, I had to spend some time at each spot to knock down the grass effectively. You will not be disapointed with a commercial grade unit, it is a whole nother world! Give a Shindowa a try, I just got one, and am very pleased, better then my Stihl's and Echo's in my opinion.
  3. KDJ

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I did not mean to insult your purchase, please forgive me. What I am saying is when I made the switch from the Ryobi to a Stihl, the difference was dramatic. The power is just not compareable. You will just have to try one and see! It sounds like your machine has served you well, and I am glad you are happy with it, but I think you will be pleasantly pleased. I don't know how long a commercial will last, especially with different operators, workers ususally abuse the goods more then the owner, so that plays a role. I have a Stihl FS74 that has been around for 5 years. I would probably estimate it has close to 1000 hours of heavy abusive use, and is still going strong. But I also had a FS85 that croaked in a year and a half, with probably 300 hours or so on it. Another consideration is if you ever want to hack down heavy brush, most commercials can power a brush saw. They also will run bigger line, I like 103 line, but it is to large to use in a non commercial trimmer.
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

RYOBI trimmer=Ford Tempo
    Echo trimmer=Mercedes 190e

I couldn't believe the difference, spend the 300 bucks and you will see what I mean.
  6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

hey i used a sears curved shaft trimmer for my first yr when i had 5 accounts and it held good then i got the echo pro attachment series commercial engine one (an attachment series is what i suggest) and it was great. i ve had it for just over a yr now and i have the edger trimer and hedgetrimmer attachment. the paperwork says that the machine will last 300+ hours on the commercial, but each owner has different experiences some machines will outlast another even if they are the same brand and model. i hvent had many problems the echo and it has 150+ hours on it of heavy use,starts first pull every time. i know other landscapers who have trimmer for 7+ yearswith almost 1000 hours on them and they start first pull. i have to let u know that when u use the commercial trimmer you use larger string .95-1.05 string it tends to get caught up in the head and it melts and sticks this happened to me on all my trimers i have 6 stihl echo echo kawasaki ryan and sears. this happens to us all and is very frustrating.
    sorry for the long post i feel that you will b better off with a commercial unit most are about 200-400 and maybe a split boom or attachment echo or stihl
    good luck
  7. KDJ

How about a Redmax BCX2600DS
    Anybody have one of these?
    pros & cons would be nice
  8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Not sure if you are aware, but they make timmer line with aluminum flakes in it to prevent it from melting or fusing. I even have a role of 080 that got hot and fused on the role, but my 103 with aluminum has never had a problem. FYI
  9. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

KDJ, I can't say for sure how many hours I have put on my Husquavarna. I had it more than a year before my nephew put straight gas in it. I bought a new one and the old still works as strong as it did new. It may die on me soon but for now it works.

If you are working 15-20 hours a week a commercial trimmer will last you forever. Plus if you grow you will need the trimmer to handle the additional work load. It will be worth it.

I also have a Ryobi that I use as a stick edger. May take it off the trailer once or twice a month. It actually is my second Ryobi. My first one died a painful death when the moter fell off of the shaft mounted in my trimmer rack while moving down the road. Did not see it fall off and I have not seen it since.

I highly recommend a commercial trimmer. I have heard good things about the Red Max, Stihl, Husquavarna and Maruyama.

Good luck on your decision.
  10. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I started with a craftsman straight shaft that I had for a couple of years before I went into business. Its has cut up to 3" trees with no problems with the metal blade. Ive had it in some nasty stuff with the string trimmer head, but when it died and I replaced it with a stihl FS80 it was like going to a cadilac, although I never missed it before the stihl cut like a champ. Ive got a friend that buys a Ryobi weed eater every year. He kills it during the season and just throws it away and buys another one for around $120. I wouldnt part with my stihl.:D