Wanted a price over the phone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 14, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Got a phone call tonight for a guy that wanted an estimated to mow his property.

"No problem I can give you an estimate," I say.

"Ok, let me describe it for you," he said.

"I will have to come out and take a look at to give you a proper estimate," I said.

"Can't you give me an estimate over the phone with my description?" he said.

"Nope, need to take a look at it," I respond.

"Well, ok I guess," he said.

I can't believe some people. Next thing I know I am going to get telephone calls asking me to predict the winning lottery numbers.

2. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happens to me all the time.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

You got off light we had a jack azz call and tell us he had a quarter acre and wanted 2 inch’s of topsoil spread on the entire lawn and seeding. How much will that cost???? Sir I would have to.............................. I already told you what I want how much will that cost?

I wonder if he got a quote over the phone we sure weren’t going to play ball with that little info. Sounds easy to you realize he didn't tell you the grade you don't know what kind of rocks or weeds are on the property. And I don't trust other landscapers when they tell me a quarter acre I sure as hell am not going to trust Joe Home Owner to know the exact square footage. For all you know you can not fit a dump truck on the property to get the dirt in or perhaps its got a 2 foot gate and you can not even get a mini track loader in the back yard.

4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I get the same thing all the time. I had a guy do that last fall he wanted a estimate for a fall clean up and he tells me that he has 4 trees in the back and 2 in the front. I tell him i need to look at it then he said you can't do it over the phone. i said ok 600.00. He go's ok you can come look at.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that is a good one to use. LOLpayup

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Get it from time to time and I usually just tell them that it should be under 20k but can't be sure until I look at it. So far I've had to look at all of them, but one of these days lol

Mac

7. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I always tell people that I need to look at the property before I can give them a quote. I also prefer to meet my potential customers in person face to face. Sofar I have yet to be ripped off.

8. LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

I had one clown ask if he could just email me a picture of the work he wanted done & call him back with a quote.

I said sure, why not? I'll give it a shot - no promises though.

I get a picture of a lawn that looks like a battalion of gophers decided to move in. I call the customer back and ask him if he is serious - he said yes this is his lawn. I asked what in sam hill happened to his yard. He said his neighbor put her beagle in his yard while he was on a business trip.

I asked him if he had shot his neighbor yet. He laughed and said no, but she was sure as hell going to pay for the work.

He decided that he would have top soil delivered & let his neighbor spread it.

People are so stupid sometimes. I still haven't found out why the beagle was in his yard though - wasn't his dog.