Wanted..opinions between Husqvarna or Stihl Chainsaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b & t lawn care, Mar 18, 2008.

1. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

Am looking for a small chainsaw to carry in the truck while on mowing route to cut branches or small trees after storm damage. Did buy a Stihl MS170 2 years ago. Loved the saw. But only ran three tanks of fuel thru it when a seal went out. Cost more to fix the saw than it did to buy it new. So...there is a Stihl and a Husqvarna dealer in the area. Wanting to know the pros and cons between the two brands before I purchase one. Am looking at a Husqvarna 142, but Stihl dealer says to pass that one up..not a good saw. I do have a Husqvarna 61, and that has been a WONDERFUL saw, but am wanting something smaller to carry in truck every day for those small jobs. We have Stihl backpack blowers and love them too, but after what happened to the Stihl MS170, am a little worried concerning Stihl. Anyone out there have opinions to offer?
  2. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

I agree, pass on the Husqvarna 142. Go with the 340 or 345. The 142 is made by Poulan for Husqvarna. The 340 & 345 are made by Husqvarna as is the 61 you have.:usflag:
  3. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Husqvarna 350, very good saw. You won't be disapointed.
  4. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't the 350 the one with a plastic crankcase? I've heard so many complaints about it.
  5. ha305

ha305 LawnSite Member

What do the AX MEN use? Id go with that. You'd have enough power
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Husky all the way man!
  7. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

my husqvarna 340 is a very nice saw and has come in handy a lot lately
  8. wimpy

wimpy LawnSite Member

If you want something extremely cheap and all you're going to be doing is limbing small branches, I'd get the ms 180 for about $219-$220. It's way better than the ms 170 you had.
  9. Oregon

Oregon LawnSite Member
    from oregon

Husky is great, if you want a small professional saw go with the husky arborist saw, it is an xp series which is the pro line and completely rebuildable
  10. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

I do not recall the model number of it, but I bought a small Husky saw about 3 - 4 yrs ago, and the thing has been a PITA since I bought it. I much prefer the stihl. I own 2 sthil saws Ms290's and they are great... but they are larger than my Husky. So maybe build diferent. Good luck with it!