Wanted some opinions on the Ferris Hydrocut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by j9sheldon, Apr 21, 2004.

1. j9sheldon

j9sheldon LawnSite Member

Was looking to purchase a Ferris Hydrocut for residential properties. Wanted to know what everyone thought of this model. Just thinking of this one b/c I can get it for $2500.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

There's quite a few posts about this particular machine. Do a search.

It's a nice unit, hydro, plenty of power, and the way you adjust the deck height is unique. I demoed one a couple of years ago and really like it alot for what it is...I even demoed the prototype model for Ferris's largest distributor way back and that unit had a 15 hp Kawi.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

...and speaks the Ferris expert. If Rod says it is a good machine I will take his word. He's very trustworthy from my viewpoint.

For the money, it would be hard to go competely wrong on this machine. Go demo it for yourself. Not just driving it around the dealer lot. Only you will know if this is the machine for you.
  4. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Very heavy unit--very heavy.
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I had one and it built like a tank. I got mine used for $1900 and used it for 1 year and sold it for $2300 with a catcher. I had a 48" great on flat area, going side ways on a hill, it might loose traction. Buy it, you'll love it.
  6. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

It's only 375lbs, it's not heavy.

I bought one last April, great machine.
  7. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

I have operated a demo.

I would compare it to driving a grocery cart. Of course, it is self propelled unlike the grocery cart, but when it comes to turning you will have to manually turn the front end around.

I operate a belt drive currently and I can make it "zero turn"; however, this tears up the grass and turf. With my belt drive, I squeeze the drive levers about half way after starting the turn and pull the mower back into line with the next path and off I go. My wife says that I have great muscle definition in my back and shoulders.

The HydroCut takes the pulling back out the the picture. Simply start the turn and push the drive levers into reverse, adjust your direction and take off.

My only concern is that it takes a little time to adjust to the "jump" the mower will give when you transition from foward to reverse. The drive control is a lever that you push down with your thumb to go forward and back with the heal of the same hand to go in reverse.

On the other hand, because it is a single drive you can use only one hand to control the drive. Even though the drive control is available for both hands, both hand controls move no matter which hand you are using to drive the mower.

If I had a dealer that sold this unit. I'd would buy one, today. Local service is always important. I bought my gear drive online. I love the unit, but would prefer someone local to service it.

Anyone interested in a Bradley 32" with 12.5 Kawasaki?