Wanted to know

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobCat#1, May 1, 2007.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

Is it against the law to put a flyer in someone's mailbox?Thanks alot

2. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

depends on where you are. in the u.s. of a. it is illegal. :usflag: *newusflag*

3. Brian624

Brian624 LawnSite Member

Very illegal in the US

4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

"IN" the mailbox yes......."OUTSIDE" of the mailbox no........However if you're posting a flyer on the mailbox you cannot get in the way of the mailman, such as posting a flyer on the door or on the flag. Best thing to do is to Stick the flyer to the side of the box, if there is no paperbox. Some people get pissed if u do this but u gotta make a living and 90% of people understand. HOA will also get on ur case but they aint got nothing better to do than bytch.

5. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

If you have done this you need to go down and turn yourself in right now, if not the mail police will be waiting for you when you get up in the morning. OK Im just kidding you can breath again.

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Good thing this was brought up today because I've never seen this particular topic discussed on LS.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Check your city's too.... this post was just brought up a week or so ago....

Some citys have a ban on door to door.....and yes that means Flyers

8. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

years ago, I used to carry a contract rural mail route, we did have that problem with people putting stuff in the mail box, normally you would get a nice but stern letter from the local postmaster asking you to stop.

I am now a city police officer and mow a few yards part time, in a lot of cities, it is illegal to place flyers and you also need a permit to solicit door to door (Resdential but not commercial).