Wanted: Used Super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnproslawncare, Mar 5, 2008.

1. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm Looking for a used super Z mower with a 48" to 52" deck, any engine, bagger is optional but a plus, and fair to excellent condition.
    I'm willing to travel 2 or three states over from Wisconsin to pick this machine up. I'm looking for a fixer upper but usable off the bat.

Thanks everyone

2. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Looks like you have 4-5 Hustler Dealers with 50 miles of you. I'd suggest calling each one & putting out feelers for a used mower. Some LCOs will trade every 3 or so years(whenever warrante runs out) & get new mowers. A good dealer will have trades on occasion. Thing is, ...to be at the right spot at the right time.(keep calling every 2-3 weeks) My local Hustler dealer sells alot of units & has some big LCOs he deals with. Therefore he(the dealer) knows when he will get used trades in. I picked up a used 04 Super-Z 60"/28efi w/1100hrs for $2750.00(this was from a lot of 8-10 trades all from one LCO) i sank 300ish more into it(fixer upper you know) & now i'm extremely happy with my "new to me" mower. You would never know it has 1100+ hrs on it by looking at it or even mowing with it.

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Pevo: Is that the mower that you gave a new paint job to and added some other misc things to it? If so, I believe I have seen pics of it in other threads. Looks like you got a nice mower along with a great deal.

4. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Yup. So far it's working great. Well it's sit in my shop for about 2 1/2 months(nothing to mow) I had to keep the battery charged & i just changed the engine oil & filter, Hyro oil & filter & disassembled the engine cooling shroud to clean on trash out of the cooling fins(which there was hardly none) I've put about 75hrs on it since you seen the pic(not quite as clean anymore)
    Iv'e also bought 2 new sets of blades for it. I bought generic scag 3in hi-lifts(21in) & a set of generic scag gators for it too. Why scag? these will fit my old style deck. I still have yet to try them for my first few cuts of the season will low & i''l be hitting some rocks & sticks. I figured i'd use the old fusions for that. I brag alot about the Super-Z because i really don't have any experience with any other major commercial brand ztrs. I would like to get my hands on & demo a Scag, Ferris or Deere so i can compare notes!

I did do a quick demo of the stripped Tractor Supply version of the 60" Badboy($4,999) & it cut good, + it spread the clippings good too, but i didn't care for how high you sat, how far forward you sat, & slow forward speed (7mph) Oh & no armrests either.

5. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Oh i did demo a 52-4ish deck size commercial Dixie Chopper. Cut was good, speed was good but the controls were too herky-jerky-jumpy for me. Plus the rear tractor treads torn the hell out of my turf.