1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wanting a nice yard.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kseei, Sep 18, 2004.

1. kseei

kseei LawnSite Member

Greetings all,

I am just a regular homeowner that takes care of his own yard. I am really wanting to have a stand out yard this next year. Can someone help me lay out a game plan on how to achieve this? Currently I fertilize a couple times in the spring. Mow on a weekly basis, and have a sprinkler that runs every morning. My yard at present looks just OK. I have some weeds that are about the size of a fist that produce some large shoots. I do not want to over seed with rye this year. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get it in shape. I am going to start to follow the Scott's fertilizer schedule. As of now should I consider aerating or scalping before winterizing? Thanks for any direction toward a greener lush lawn.
  2. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Whatever else you learn or do, stop watering daily (whether your have St Augustine or Bermuda).

Water infrequently but deeply. The grass will develop a deeper root system, become more lush and choke out any and all weeds.

The Scotts program is a good as any other and better than some. They do tend to over sell the number and variety of applications (they act like they are trying to sell fertilizer).

Good luck
  3. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

Water your yard mon, wed, friday as long as the temp is under 80 if the temp goes over that add a day on the weekend. If temp goes over 90 water every day. To much water will cause weeds to grow. Make sure that u set the time for each zone approtiely