Wanting my company to go organic. need guidance.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by smallstripesnc, Jan 4, 2014.

1. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

I don't know if the New jersey fertilizer law is being enforced by anyone, including the local town's & their police department , who are supposed to have the responsibility of enforcement. I haven't heard of anyone being fined. Have you? The license does look good on my sales literature.

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I have only heard second hand accounts of some enforcement near New Brunswick. Local police, health dept, soil conservation districts have the authority, but realistically no one is bring the hammer down.

3. Victorsaur

Victorsaur LawnSite Member

4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NJ

That's interesting. I have seen videos of people using steam. There are some on youtube in conjunction with the University of Vermont.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Steam is non-selective. The Frostkill system is selective, it will not damage cool season turf.

6. VIPTC

VIPTC LawnSite Member

I respect Barry's opinion and although I don't know any, I'm sure there are some companies that are 100% organic and successful. That said, you need to decide who you're trying to sell to - the majority of customers who want their yard to look good at a reasonable price and would like organic if it didn't bankrupt them or the few that want all organic, can afford it and can accept the limitations that come with it. I'm not knocking organic - I use a lot of organic products myself - but lawn care is a numbers business. We make money on what most people buy, not what some people buy. I'm in a fairly affluent area but I'd go broke if I only relied on all organic customers.