1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting the best

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nccutter, Jul 12, 2008.

1. nccutter

nccutter LawnSite Member

Next spring I am going to retire from corporate America and set out on my own. Due to my own personal preference, I want to start with an enclosed trailer. Any advice on size or type would be appreciated. I am going to pay cash for everything BEFORE I even have a customer. Any help would be appreiciated

2. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

why why why why ????

3. nccutter

nccutter LawnSite Member

I just want something to do. I have the money..house paid off etc, just don't want to set around

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

7/16 if you want to have more than one mower and still have room to breathe in the trailer. dual axle, dual brakes are a must and i would have a 3/4 ton or bigger to pull it w/.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 6 x 12 Pace Worksport from Home Depot a $3,000 trailer. Works well for my business model as long as my biggest mower is a Quick 36WB possibly the Quick 44 Dually down the road. The mowing side of my business is to focus nearly exclusively on smaller lawns [more profitable IMO] so it works for me and will continue to for years to follow. Only issue I have is hauling compost for top dressing so I have to pre stage my other trailer a 4 x 8

Ramp weight is limited to 1,000 pounds and a ZTR will over load the ramp and get high centered.

:waving:

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Good For you......

I was forced out of corprate America and went back to lawn care, and am loving it....

Best of luck to ya

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

We could ask you the same question!

8. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave LawnSite Member

It all depends on what equipment you will be running. If you are going to have 60"+ ZTRs, I would suggest going 8ft. wide. A 7ft. wide gets tight with Zs and racks etc. on the walls. Just my 2 cents.

9. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

Agreed, I bought my trailer for equipment I was purchasing... And from now on I will buy my trailers for possible future equipment! Nothing like buying a trailer twice, because the first one was a couple feet short...

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

if you want the best stay away from the carry-on trailers sold at the chain stores. the nice enclosed trailers have their studs and floor joists set on 16" centers, unlike the 24" on the more inexpensive chain store trailers. i paid only $700 more for my dual axle, dual brakes, 16" centered studs trailer. it was a 7x16' enclosed. hauled a 60" z, 52" w/b, and a 36" w/b just fine. as well as all the small stuff.