Wanting to add another Crew

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Drew Gemma, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

How do i do it how do you go from moing 90 a week and then mulching and landscaping as much as you can in between weather and 50 hrs of mowing. I guess I am looking on tips or advise so I don't make mistakes. I have more than enough to keep a 2 man mow crew busy everyweek but a landscape crew would get slow in july august and september but every year I get more work than I can handle stress till it is done running myself into the ground. Need help I am tired of mowing all week and spreading mulch until dark after mowing each night I have one employee but adding another how much time will I save mowing and will that transfer over to more landscape time.
  2. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

what is worth more your time/family? If the later is true, bite the bullet hire another person. At first it may seem like your paroll is huge, which it would be 50% more. However, when you get home at a decent time, and not worn out everyday it will be worth it. I am assuming you stay up on your recievables to keep up with payroll.
    There is no secret how to do it. I just went and did it and for awhile I didnt know if I could keep everyone busy, but it free'ed up alot of time that I could focous on selling and then my crew stayed plenty busy, and I make money with out have to beat myself up everyday
    Hope this helps
  3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Adding a third person to your mowing crew does help a little on your body at the end of the day. With our routes, a GOOD person will shave about 1.5 hours off an 8 hour day. A lot depends on how much drive time you have between jobs. The more a$$ time the less that third person helps out.
  4. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

I added a second guy last year and looking to add a third this year.

I have my mowing guy. All he does is mow. I have my landscape guy. All he does is help me with hardscape installs. This year I need another mowing/landscape guy. (Picked up a huge account)

The mowing is steady work. The hardscape comes and goes. What I do is put the landscape guy to help mowing when it is slow. That keeps him happy.

What I would do is hire another guy to help with the mowing, and help you with the landscape stuff. Sounds like you have enough work to keep them busy. You are already set up for payroll. Adding another worker is not that hard. It is scarry putting someone new on your equipment though and not being on every job and trusting them to do it. Let the guy you have now know tha the will be in charge on jobs you aren't at.