Wanting to buy a business. Is it a good idea.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rnewton, Jun 22, 2006.

1. rnewton

rnewton LawnSite Member
    from 72801

I am wanting to buy out a business and add it to mine. This guy has a snapper zero turn mower, a stihl backpack blower, a husq backpk blower, a shindawai trimmer, husq chainsaw, and a few other things. All this and 15, maybe more clients for $5000 . Is it worth it or should I run. I feel that it is worth it considering I can make 5 grand pretty quick off 15 clients.

2. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I would never buy a business, but I would buy their equipment.

3. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

are these clients under contract? how will the contract transfer?

if not...i'd walk.

4. rnewton

rnewton LawnSite Member
    from 72801

None of them are under contract but I plan on talking to each of the clients before the transfer takes place to make sure they will stick with me. Should I make out a contract for them.

5. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

Run, I bought a company with 24 accounts and kept 10. I did not lose them due my fault. I did have a contract that if they did not stay I did not pay as much money. That's the risk you run

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What is the equipment worth, Thats what I would base it on

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly. There is no guarantee you'll keep any of those customers.

8. scotty2

scotty2 LawnSite Member

I baught one company out this year and they had 35 accounts not signed but the thing was that I had to sign them. The rule that I heard was you pay for 2 mowings so if you buy 35 accounts that would be 35 X 2 = 70 now times that buy the price per account( yes every account is different but you should get a gross of all accounts ) say 25.00 per account 25.00 X 70 = 1750 for the company:usflag:

9. Mow It All

Mow It All LawnSite Member

Hey I bought my buisness established. I made the owner take me to each one and have them sign contracts. I did lose 10 out of 75 but he worked the price to show that. As far as the equipment...........I bought it 2 months ago, put a new motor on my 52" Toro, bought a new back pack, and a new wacker.......All bad. I got beat on that end but what can you do.

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

No way would I buy out another business and accounts. I can see buying some equip and that's it!!!! JMO