Wanting to get started!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Spanky, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Spanky

Spanky LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to start a lawn care business, but with little experience. I am looking for any guidance in regards to equipment, how to charge for accounts, should I go more residential or commercial?
    I live in Southwest Ohio, and see ample opportunity to grow a business.

Looking forward from hearing from the pro's,

2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Well you have come to the right place to learn,lot of info here.The best thing I have found to do is use the search feature in the top right hand corner before asking a question.This way you get your question answered fast,if you dont find your answer then post a question.
  3. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

My advise is to get a job with a larger lawn care provider in your area, gain some knowledge, and experience. I'm not saying your not capable of running a very successful business but, as you stated you have very little experience. I see so many people getting in the business thinking they can make an easy buck, then they find out its work. It takes alot of energy to get a business off its feet, so I would advise gain some knowledge, some skill, and find out if this is what you want to do, If your set on getting in the biz......First thing first, get liscened and insured, That's the #1 piece of advise I can give someone. If I was in your shoes, go residential, There mostly smaller and can be done fairly quick, even with smaller equipment.......Which leads me to my question.....How much are you willing to invest????? A good commercial push mower runs anywhere from $450 to $800, walk behinds from $2500 and on up, and then there's the ztr's, which can cost anywhere from $5000 to $14000. And let's not forget about trimmers and blowers.
    But to actually answer your question, I run Great Dane's and scags, and I'm getting ready to buy a Dixie Chopper. But for you, you need to test drive some and see what is offered in your area
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

that's a great idea ....gain experience & knowledge while making $ than once comfortable .....do it
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm in total agrrement with turfguy, you don't want to spend a few k on machines then quit in june like most guys out there.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Wecome to Lawnsite Spanky.

You have come to the right place to learn the business. By reading a lot of old posts here you will find out how to do it all from buying equipment, bidding, the works. I have a search page on my website to help new and old members find what they are looking for here on Lawnsite. Just click the red house below and then click on Lawnsite Links to find 74 topics of interest. I hope this helps.