Wanting to learn more

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Guest, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ya that can be tough.

I was lucky to get in with a really good group of companies. I have learned from them mainly but I will not bag on another company we are all in this for the same thing...well that is almost true I have had some words with guys who hat rack neighborhoods..but the legit guys we are all in it together and should work together.

Even in these slow times there is barely enough work for all...but I mean barely.

Waving is a good thing. Sorry to here more guys in your area are not like you and me. Friendly.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Very true.

Now I am young guy my self but alot of those guys in my area you are describing are normally younger and just have a big head.

I know some old timers who can have close to $ 150 - 200 K in equipment but they have paid it all off have for a while now and are very successful. Everyone of them though are friendly and sure to wave to ya and stop by and say Hello if they see ya on a job.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey guys. New to this site but not to the industry. I own a landscape business but have now learned that I love taking down trees. It could be the rush or taking down thousands of pounds of tree or doing something that few others dare to do.

Anyways I cant go work for someone because my business needs my attention. However I want to learn more and grow this side of my business. I have to admit I didnt realize all the regulations. I am actually going to research up on them all over the next few weeks. I knew the obvious with the helmet, chaps yada yada. But how can I learn more. Is there a class you can take. Im not talking about a class room class but does someone provide an arborist school. If so maybe in Dallas TX.

Thanks guys. Looks like you guys give a lot of positive feed back. Lawnsite people are usually more critical when we are only trying to seel help.

To give you my experience. I have taken down large and small trees. Nothing to dangerous but one tree did take 4 of us just due to the side of it and we didnt have a bucket or crane.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks guys for all the advise. Lawnsite has some good info but everyone is so critical. I will check out some of the websites and books you suggested. Thanks and I wish everyone a happy new year.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Read books! as everyone commented above. I might be in your age group. Im only 20 years old and my company does tree work. I love it out of everything that we do. Just be safe and know your limit. And get proper insurance! Other than that, Get good equipment and Saws! STIHL is my personnel favorite! If you have the space in your back woods like i do, practice practice practice. I climb trees for fun all the time out in my woods and experiment different things that i hear about or see on this site. That way when im on the job, its not my first time. Its the best way to learn !

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I wish there were more 1 man tree operations where i live. Id deffinetly team up with them on some of my jobs. Theres alot of big big tree companys around here.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thats a great deal. Another problem that we have in my area is that everyone is feared of calling or talking to there competition. No body waves to anyone in there own feild. There are a few of us including myself that talk all the time are share advice. Sometimes though because im the youngest, and i get a really good contract or a big job, they get jelous which sucks because theres nothing i can do about that.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

yah they seem to all have to much pride for some reason! You would never catch them talking on this web site! god forbid. I love the guys that look down on all of us that are just 1 or 2 truck companys:laugh: I dont see what they think they have that we dont have besides a pile of bills at the end of the month!