Wanting to make a switch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jonboysmole, May 6, 2007.

1. jonboysmole

jonboysmole LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I currently own a roofing company and have for 5 years. However, I want to get out. Even though i have had success in it, I just am sick and tired of it. I am 27 years oldand started thinking about furthering the roofing biz and realized this is not what I want to do anymore, the physical strain, the danger, the liability, the list goes on. I know anything you do has a degree of all that and I know lawncare isnt a desk job by any means but the dangers and the physical demand arent as demading on a day to day basis. I know MANY roofers who wish they got out when they could but it seems many lawncare people dont feelas strong that way after so many years. I know no matter what you do day after day for years becomes old but thats not the piont. Anyway, Ilove having a biz and overall working w/ people(other than the occasional impossible customer) I love working outside and would not have much out of pocket costs. I have a truck w/a plow and adump w/a plow.I have a trailer and small portion of the eqipment needed. I would just need a bigger mower to start (and alot of marketing). Sorry the post is so long but would appreciate some opinions and advice.

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Well there aint a whole lot of money in the mowing business. i think the ones who are solo are doing the best, or the ones that are just huge, but i dont know. I just sold my business and I'm making the switch to Lawn Applications. Anyway...............all I can say is good luck, I mowed for 7 years and I did ok, but the business is just becoming a joke. Mainly due to gas prices and low ballers.

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

He is right the biz is getting alot harder everyone and their brother is doing it now. The money is there if you can create a good customer base along with a quality of work to go along with it. We put in alot of hours way after the sun goes down each and ever day. The weather, the cost to do buisness haunts you ever day. Marketing, insurance, permits, employees, maintenance, you name it you will find it. :hammerhead:

4. jonboysmole

from Ohio

Roofing insurance is 2 to 3 times more as is comp and employees are as bad or worse, weather... don't get me started on weather. No one is going to slip off a 2 story yard and no one will have to replace a ceiling if a 3 min down poor happens to come through w/ a 10% precip in the forecast. Not to mention a small lawn care company can survive solo for a while if need be..... no oneshows up to work on your 40 sq 2 story roof your supposed to start....you look like a jack***.Plus theres the scabs in roofing too but as any biz do good job and don't worry about them.Working 10 to 16 hrs a day ....already do. I could continue but I wont. Again I never implied the switch to lawn care would be a walk in the park.... but go out and roof for just a few days,not on an easy ranch, but on the nasties most people dont even think about.

5. mow2nd

Hummmmmm, u seem PO at roofing, I dont know anything about roofing so I can't comment. As for lawn care, my dad has been doing it for almost 40 years, so growing up around the business I have seen a lot of people come and go. Yea u can make some money as long as u charge a fair price. The low ballers usually dont last long before they move on to something else. However their prices effect everybody. The work is there, so go out and get it done, u'll make some money..............good luck

6. jonboysmole

from Ohio

Ya, Im pretty fed up w/ it. Not saying anything else wont kick you in the hind end. Ive thought about it for a few years now and I know a few guys in lawn care w/ some health problems but about 9 out of 10 roofers Ive kown in it fo 10 to 30 have had major surgery or injury at some piont. This is my 10 year and Im still young enouph to transition into somthing else. I plan on still carrying the roofer insurance for a year or two so I caan pick up a couple roofs here and there till I can go full time in lawn care. Always did lawncare growing up and even early 20's for extra cash and alwys enjoyed it. Somtimes it would beat me up a little but in a good way....like a good hard workout at the gym.THANKS TO ALL for letting me vent a little(alot)thanks mow2nd for the possitive feedback.... I always figure a guy can do anything w/ commitment to excellence, willingness to learn (even from mistakes), and a ton of hard work.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

try to mix in construction and maintenance the money is in construction.

8. jonboysmole

from Ohio

do you mean construction and lawn maintenance? I always plan on do small jobs and repairs( for roofing that is) I would just like to get out of it full time and do a solo to semi solo lawn care. If work is slow in roofing you cant do that.

9. mow2nd

You sound the same way I do about lawn care. Which is why I only do Lawn Applications. I apply 6 treatments a year, plus aeration, seeding and Insecticides. So far I love it..........I can go out and treat 10 yards and make twice as much money as mowing 20.

10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I think was patriot was getting at is landscape construction. I only spend one or two days mowing. Other days I take care of other projects and applications.