Wanting To Open a lawncare business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Emcarthur, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Emcarthur

Emcarthur LawnSite Member

Hello I am new to the site, and a friend and i have been wanting to open our own lawncare business. We would like to start out doing the following:
    Mowing
    Fall cleanup
    Fertalizing
    Mulch
    Snow Removal.

I would like to get some feedback on our idea, I have found 2 nice used Zero Turns, a good use trailer and all the accessories to get started.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats great. Be sure to get all the licenses you need and pay all your taxes due. Good luck. Youll need it.

3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want to do that, it's not the easy money you think it is, do yourself a favor and go into a different line of work.

4. Emcarthur

Emcarthur LawnSite Member

I know its not easy money, but we enjoy that kind of work.

5. LegendaryLawns

LegendaryLawns LawnSite Member

Im kinda in same situation as you, i been mowing on the side for about 15 years, no more than 3 or 4 lawns, but in the last year i have decided to get serious and go full scale and work for myself. I had a 42" rider that i used as much as i can, and a 22" push to use as needed. I have had a very reliable Echo trimmer for several years and picked up a blower last fall.
    Last year i shopped around for a few months and nabbed a used 36" walk behind exmark, and a 12 foot landscape trailer with a drop gate.
    I have ,up to this point, paid cash for everything, which i have learned is a very important point. I picked up a few more jobs this year including a sizable account where i needed to get a zero turn. I been looking at used ones in area for long time....unable to find a used one i was going to be happy with, i broke down and got a Bobcat Pro-Cat, dropped a decent size down payment, and got 0% interest on the rest for 3 years, but i want to knock it out by next year, so im back to even again.
    My plan is to get all my local liscensing and insurance in place in the next few weeks, as well as set up LLC and get busniess cards immediatley to help marketing.
    then I will have the winter to work on marketing for expanding customer base and getting new accounts for the spring...
    READ as many threads on here as possible, a TON of useful info from a great group of people in the industry. If you like mowing like i do, dont be deterred by the few that tell you to find something else....

6. LegendaryLawns

LegendaryLawns LawnSite Member

yea, its not easy money, but I believe that working for yourself and putting yourself in a position where the amount of success you wish to enjoy will be directly proportional to the amount of effort you put in to get there.

7. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

Run dude run,
    GET WHILE THE GETTING'S GOOD.
    This isn't the Pontiac that your Father Drove.
    Go do something safe like Bomb Disposal or play basket ball on the freeway.

all kidding a side
    Lawn care/ landscaping can be a very rewarding job But do your research first and make sure you have a market that will take another LCO. Because if there are to many outfits its going to be an uphill battle.

Good luck
    Graham

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

You say like to start out that's the first thing to figure out is when you plan to make that step. Its mid summer now which is a very difficult time to begin. You could try to get in for fall clean ups or snow removal and of course spring is the best time of the year to start this trade. But that aside the next thing you would want to know is how long can you last with virtually no income to speak of cause that is what you will face when you make that step.

I am not going to sugar coat this for you we are in recession that later will likely be upgraded to a depression we have a president that is lost and can not fix this. So you want to become a business owner at the hardest time in the last 20 years. Save as much as you can and learn to live on very little as you are going to have very difficult time. They give stats on failures but at this point in history you can double that so protect yourself and give your self the best chance of success by having the biggest war-chest you can build. My first year I managed to get 65 accounts by the end of the year and nearly hit 80,000 you know what I got paid about 7k. The fact is there is so much you will need to buy when you start if you wish to grow that there won't be much for you for sometime.

Well look at it this way when you post on this board your either going to get other newbies that tell you good luck, or someone that makes some stupid insulting cracks, or lastly someone that is in your face honest at what your looking at. But that last group are the ones that will keep you from making some huge mistakes now is there anything else I can help you with?

9. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, summed it up well.^^^^^^^

10. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%
    you about summed it all up.
    It may sound harsh but it's the truth.