Wanting to start mowing business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cpad33, Jun 9, 2004.

1. cpad33

cpad33 LawnSite Member

A friend and I are wanting to start a mowing business around the Knoxville, TN area. We both would enjoy the outside work, and want to get out of our current production work. We make good money and have great benefits at our current job, but that doesn't always mean everything. I know we will have to pay a lot for health insurance, but we are willing to do it. There is a huge demand around this area for mowing services, including a lot of businesses (which is what we would like to eventually focus on). We are unsure how to go about getting bids for companies, though. Do you simply just call them up? And, it's hard to guess what they normally would pay for such services. It would only be the two of us in a partnership, but taxes are still a little confusing. We are also not sure which brand of mower to buy. I know the leaders, but still have never had the opportunity to try them all. I am confident we would succeed because we are very driven to do this for ourselves. There are just a lot of unanswered questions we still have. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2. cpad33

cpad33 LawnSite Member

Sorry about the repeat post. Don't know how that happened!

3. CuttersCove

CuttersCove LawnSite Member

cpad,

You will learn a lot more by reading everything on here. Just keep reading and reading. Learn how the search engine works and use it. But here's to answer a few. You're asking questions that get asked almost daily, so the search engine is your best bet.

Call up the companies you are interested in cutting and ask them when they normally accept bids.

Contact an accountant about the taxes. Same goes for insurance.

Which mower? That's a tough one. Everyone will swear by one brand or another. I don't think anyone on the forums has sufficient income to do a research study as to what mower is the best.

First find out what dealers are in your area by checking manufacturer websites, then go and demo them. Ask questions of the dealer about why they chose to deal those specific mowers vs. the other brand.

In all honesty though, your best bet is to go work for someone else for a season and learn.

Good luck