Warehouse / Shops

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Wayne Landscaping, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

How do u guys get started with a shop or warehouse and land. Ive looked on land.net and remax but none have themm in my area. I dunno, just wondering how u got started. Thanks
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought a home in the country, not a sub division but in farm country several years ago. In our county there is a restriction on buying ground and building, that is if you want an acreage you must buy 5 acres or more. Our place is on about 7 acres. I built a shop on our property.
  3. Wayne Landscaping

Thanks, how does everybody else do it?
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I have my shop in the garage. work on the car in the driveway.
  5. Wayne Landscaping

isnt it illegal to use a garge at a house for business needs
  6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Well, it wouldnt suprise me if it wasnt illegal in some places, but not where I come from. In fact if you are running a legal business and paying taxes you can write off part of your property taxes as a business expense. Part of your electric and phone bill as well. You will have to talk to an accountant to see what is deductable in your situation.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have another house that has a big shed out back that we use for storage. Use the house as office. But it is only a mile from my home.
    You don't want to be far from your home or from your service area. Drive time will kill you.
    If you are in a subdivision, they may have restrictions about what you can do at the home or what you can park.
    Your are only running the business out of your house, not bringing in customers so that will help you get by.
    To buy land you might have to look west and it still will not be cheap.

Try to rent a storage unit to start. Lots of those around you.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

call a realtor tell them your needs they will find you something. Either to rent or to purchase.
  9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I am doing this right now. First, find the piece of land for sale, you will likely need to find something that is zoned for "industrial". Zoninng changes can be made...but it is a big delay in the process. Your best bet is a property that is centrally located around your existing accounts, you don't want to be too far on one side of the town. Also, you dont need prime real estate to do this, a property that is not on a busy intersection will cost less. We found a property that is behind another business.

get bids or find out who is going to construct your shop. The planning commission at city hall will want to do a review of your site plan and floor plan. Drawn to scale.

Does the property have water and sewer lines? City hall may require you to have this available if you have a certain number of employees. You can also do a well and a septic tank if city lines are not available. These things will cost you so make sure to negotiate these expenses off of the asking price of the land.

Good luck.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Wayne--- What size of budget do you have and what size space do you need now-- 4 years from now? What are your plans?