Warm climate vs. cold climate guys

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 28, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering for scheduling service work, how far in advance the warm weather guys schedule. With us cold weather guys, 2-3 weeks is the wait this time of year. At least for my company. And of course we get the clowns that want it TODAY. As soon as it hits 70-75 degrees they all flood in thinking we can get there now. One guy called yesterday (Sunday) saying his copper split and it's an EMERGENCY because he has to mark the heads for the aerating company. I almost want to put it off out of spite, but one of my guys can get there today actually. The problem is that they then come to expect it. I could still fit in others today for that tech, of people that called last week.

So do you warm weather guys get that far booked out this time of year, or is it more of a slow consistent schedule?
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Spring is always insane and everyone wants their job done yesterday.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't sure with you warm climates guys. Especially if the system is left on all winter.
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing dumber than the guy that calls on the first real nice day for a start up is the guy that calls for a blow out once the first real blizzard of the winter starts.
  5. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Having worked N & S I think you get booked out farther up north. We were always a couple weeks out in the beginning in Nebr. Here in AZ it picks up in spring but we still had all winter to do work also. I found here that because so many landscape/yard guys also dabble in irrigation that if you aren't able to get to a customer in a couple days they will probably go elsewhere, at least for that call.
  6. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

No schedule for me it's all on call repairs for us, until winter then it slows down to a crawl.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

In my area, "winter" only lasts for about 2-3 months. I turn off the controller for no less than 3 months for turf (Dec - Feb), and about 5 months for the rest (Dec - April). Even now, with no significant rain for about 2 months, soils around here are still wet with winter rains, with the exception of the first 1-2" or so.

Evidence soils are starting to dry.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean by that? we are the same, they call us, we schedule. Or do you go there immediately when they call?
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I find that it's useful to have a mix of projects going on...

I try to get some longer term upgrade/ renovation/ new install work scheduled in with clients that are patient enough that things happen in phases.

That fills up half my week three or four weeks ahead of time and then I fill in with smaller projects/ emergency repairs.

I tie up loose ends and work on meeting new prospects/ plans/ bids/ estimates Saturdays.

I've also learned not to schedule any new repair projects on Friday afternoons when Murphy's Law is most in effect...

As for the season's beginning and end... I tend to switch to doing more LV lighting November through March when people are thinking about their sprinklers less (and using them less often).

But if the weather cooperates, I'm busy most of the year.
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I go out immediately, sorry for the confusion i have a lot going on rite now at the shop i snook of to play on lawnsite