Warm season grass... zero dollars :cry:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 23, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

:cry:

Well... I scalped them in early spring.

They started to green... cold weather and frost put them back into dormancy.
    This happened several times.

Then as it finally warmed up for good... no rain at all since.

So now that the air and soil temp is up for it, it is still in dormant state due to drought.

Not good... not good at all.

Sure glad it's not the only grass I cut too....

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I feel sorry for you guys in the Carolinas and Georgia. Florida too I hear is dry as well.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

here we are in MD and going into a holliday weekend the lawns are bone dry. thank God I power wash too!! this week forcast is for 80s and no rain at all. Dormant lawns in May !!!!??? looks like the el nino la nina effect that gave us the wierd winter weather will follow true to form and give us a drought for summer.

4. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

Drought conditions here in central Alabama, too! Centipede has "gone to pot"---running dormant with no rain. Bermuda and Zosia aren't near as green as they ought to be.

Lots of folks on Logan Martin Lake are pumping water from the lake onto their lawns-----but it doesn't matter what you pump where---it won't "green" the grass near as good as Almighty God's "Waterin' hose"----rain!!!!

Lets covet together to pray for rain for these drought states----Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland!!!

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've already started skipping yards in Minnesota..... yes, Minnesota.

We FINALLY got rain last night, the first rain that we've had since the first week of April.

It hasn't helped that for the last 2 weeks it's been sunny, 75-80, with 20+ mph winds for the last 3 weeks.

I haven't even started my round 2 of applications on the properties that aren't irrigated they're so stressed.

So yeah, I hear you Envy.

6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I started skipping lawns this week. Some are getting darn dry!

Thank goodness I am on a monthly plan with my customers now. Last summer each skip would mean less money coming in the door.... Now it doesn't matter. Sure if I don't come out at all for a whole month some customers might question the bill, but frankly I don't care... I have nearly 70 accounts right now and having to turn away more accounts, and I am working TOO HARD, I wouldn't mind loosing a few if they are the ones that ***** about getting a bill for lawnservice on a month where the grass was too dry to mow. Heck they could have got off their lazy butt and watered it!

The shame in all this, was coming out of early spring, most of my lawns were looking better than they have in many years.

7. K-Cuts

K-Cuts LawnSite Member

Add East Tennessee to your prayer list and ran dance. Our grass looks like it's mid-July!

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dammit man...... here around Houston Texas we get rain all the time.....

I'm sick of it.........Come get it plz

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Add irrigation installation to your services and you'll make a killing.Down here,folks are having wells dug for irrigation.Get with a well digger in your area and tell him to hand out your business cards with your new service.Start advertising together."Don't let drought damage your investment!Install a well irrigation system.Saves YOU MONEY!"
    "Wishing for rain?Make it rain whenever you want with a well and irrigation system"
    Actually a well will pay for itself in about 2 years down here,with water and sewer costs what they are.It's a great alternative.The well diggers are making a fortune right now.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's taking care of me on the cool season turf lawns that I'm NOT cutting this week. That will be no trouble at all, even if I skip next week too.

But this is not enough to 'cover you' in the situation I'm in with the warm season grasses. In March and April I scalped them back while still dormant, did the spring cleanup on the turf. But they have not needed a mower on them since... and this is the end of May.

They started greening up after the scalping... then frost and cold weather put them back into dormancy. This same cycle repeated a few times. Then by the time the soil and air temperature got up steady for it... too hot dry and windy.

So it's never made full greenup yet this year and grown any.

This is an extreme case of basically 2 months in and nothing needed in the way of cutting.