Warm season grasses don't strip well.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbenz, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mbenz

mbenz LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Is This True? If so I might be beter off not buying the Lazer CT or Lazer HP. And stick to something else.
    Will Walkers Strip warm season grass?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Its not the mower itself, its the amount of pressure applied to the grass to bend it over that makes the strip. I could go out with with a flour-roller and make nice stripes by hand (although it would take all day). Plus its called not a strip, its a stripe.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've cut both, and I think warm season grasses like Bermuda and Zoysia require a BETTER deck than the cool season grasses, because they're almost always cut fairly low, show flaws in the cut, and unless you love hauling clippings around, you need a good mulching system. Exmark offers that. St. Aug or Bahia you could probably get by with something else, I see a lot of Dixie Choppers, Lesco, and some minor brands here that I don't hear much about.

A roller can push grass over to "stripe". Cutting it cleanly and dispersing it evenly are required too, so don't forget that.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Stripes associated with C4 turf grasses will not last long regardless of the machine/type they are cut with.
    Remember that all a stripe is, is the reorientation of the ab/ad-axial leaf surfaces to the direction of mowing.
    The turger & resiliency of C4 grasses means, typically, with-in 24 to 30 hrs, the plant will re orientate to a preferred position which then eliminates the stripes.
    To explain more would be to compare the differences in cellular structure, species, additional growth habits and pathology - and I am out of time.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve

5. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

^^ What he said.

6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I can get a nice look with our Lescos WBs.

7. mbenz

mbenz LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Thanks, Guys. But Do you know what grass is the best to stripe in the south?
    And are most of these stripe pictures in the picture forum mostly in the north?

8. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Bihia to me is the worst to stripe. And yes most are from up north.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

What makes one brand of mower stripe better than another is( no striping roller) the deck bending the grass over in one dirrection. The reason they do that is because the blades are not flush with the bottom of the deck.So the higher up the blades are inside the deck the more the grass gets bent over by the rear portion or trailing deck edge. In relation to this is cut quailty. the closer the blades are to the deck bottom the better the cut, to a point.

10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

With regards to striping C4 turf - a rotary mower requires at a minimum - a extremely high lift blade, that the blade be sharp, and possibly a roller or heavy edged rubber mat behind the mower deck.
    However, no C4 turf is going to stripe longer than 24-30 hours.