Warm Temps Posing a challenge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Mar 25, 2007.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

It has been really warm in my area, warm enough for Crabgrass to germinate we have not completed our round 1 yet as we are usually safe to about the 10th of April at least. However this year, the warmth has hit us early. Just wondering what others thoughts are? I think we may switch to Dimension for the rest of the round. All that Barricade sitting in the shop......

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I know how you feel man. I picked up several new clients with weedy yards already. How soon can I get an effective post control of broadleaves? I am going for dimension too for the rest of my round.

3. profigala

profigala LawnSite Member

Same here, luckily we have finished the majority or our first round, but we still have a long way to go. As far as broadleaves go we were using cool power , but tomorrow were gonna start hitting everything with surge. This weather sucks!

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Luckily I switched to Dimension this year. We have had so much rain I'm a couple weeks behind already. its supposed to be 80 deg. the next couple days but its supposed to get back to normal temps later in the week. hopefully the ground temps wont warm up too fast but you guys are about 100 miles south of me so that should give me a extra week or two. (I hope) and to think 2 weeks ago we still had piles of snow everywhere!

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know which is worse. Your guys problem or mine. We haven't started yet. Snow is just now going away from the late storm we had.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I will stick with our problems!

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

still have snow in piles and in some north sides of the homes soil temp is 53 so there is still time

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

j hish,
    off subject, but how long have you uesd barricade? fert rep was pusing it pretty hard and the price was good. i've used dimension for the past 3 years and had good luck (i use split apps).
    on to your question, what i have done in the past is, start with pendulum, then as the season progress towards the warm weather, i switch to dimension. this might work for you next year. i have had to do this and it does give good resualts and saves money Vs. using dimenssion all spring.

9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I can attest to this and with put my oath as a business man on it. The Barricade works, I use 65WDG last year and where most Operators were having problems We did not. Even on unirrigated turf. However with the Granular I did experience break through in some areas. where the soil was very sandy and was exposed to straight sun and the turf was not irrigated. I spray a 1 lbs per acre and .75 on granular. Spilt apps, and only about .25 on the second app for a total 1 lbs either way. This year I am only doing 1 app at .75 rate on 65WDG and 175lbs. per acre on 19-0-7 .43 AI

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the info, my first 3 apps are liquid (pre/post/grub) then 2 dry for the summer, then liquid in the last app. it was the 65wdg he was pusing. question, he said it is yellow, but does not stain, is this true? thanks terry