Warm winter preM application?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gulfjoe, Jan 30, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in Columbus GA, and i was was planning to apply my PreM late this Feb, but with our unseasonably warm winter, and looking at the future outlook it doesnt look like its going to get cold again, should I think about applying my Grannular Lesco PreM earlier than the end of Feb?

2. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen people applying already down here. We have had some pretty warm weather. I am not too concerned since I had my fall app and I am still covered. Having said that Feb is just two days away

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Spring per can't be put down too early most times. If its cold it will sit inactive until soil micros get active and start breaking it down

I'm hoping to start in a few weeks if not sooner.

4. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

With the Lesco Pre-M is there a commercial product or do you use the consumer product that is sold in the JD centers?

5. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy it at the JD centers but it says commercial or professional I can't remember. I did put an app down in November. I am noticing very few broad leafs coming up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

"Timing is everything" as Runner on here said. Early application now will take care of early germination of broadleafs, vetch and the like. Just realize that an early application will poop out sooner than a later application. Most pre-em have a longevity of about two month depending a lot on how much you put down. I'll be making applications in about two (2) weeks or so with Gallery and yet another with a monthly fertilization two weeks after green-up on the coast.

7. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

do you do 2 split apps? I am north of you, about to start pretty soon.. its been warm here.

8. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Carrollton. We started our 1st round 2nd week of January. It all depends what you put down on your last application. That's the key.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the weather over the next couple of weeks, I'm probably looking at starting mid-February with pre-emergent apps. I may try a granular mix of Evade and 19-0-3 fertilizer on a couple of fescue properties, killing two birds with one stone.

10. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

Im in north Florida and our crabgrass is already 3/4 inch high. Companies are applying pre-m and Prodiamine anyway because this is the time when we have always done that. Only thing that will save us will be a frost and I am not crossing my fingers. Btw, it was 83 today... Jan 30.
    Posted via Mobile Device