Warm winter preM application?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gulfjoe, Jan 30, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

hey bud i saw you say your first app was mid january. did you use simazine first app then march first stonewall? just curious. jan 15 i put down my first round and it was simazine then around march 1-10 stonewall. just curious thanks! a ton

2. eich09

eich09 LawnSite Member

I thought prodiamine was a pre-m. Would you mind explaining to a rookie the difference? Thanks

3. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

You are right. When i say pre-m, i am thinking about the bright yellow foul-smelling stuff (I cant stand to work with it).

I have used Prodiamine the last few years.

I may have to use Dimension this year tho..
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I bought today at the JDL. I dont know if this is commercial or Consumer. I am a DIY, my yard is my hobby. I sit and stalk these pages and soak up as much knowledge as I can and try to keep up with you professionals on here. When you say split apps what exactly do you mean. I know obviously it means 2 multiple apps, but are you using different products? I have celcius WG for post emergence control, but I know that is a Late may-August product correct. Can i get any use out of that here when early spring shows here is the 10 day forecast for my area. should I apply now or wait longer?

photo(26).jpg

5. gulfjoe

6. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

It's currently snowing in North Atlanta. Should stop freaking out. Put it down now and you will be wasting time and money. I have seen a few companies out there putting out pre-m already but that is because they have a program and need to get everyone done in a 7 week cycle. If you are a customer at the end of the the cycle you luck out. I you are getting pre-m put down now while we still have freezing at night, you are paying for a pretty lousy service. Middle February is when the round of pre-m should begin. This accounts for the fact that half your customers won't water in and assumes a rain will wash it into the root system before March 1st when it really should be there.

7. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

Don't go to JDL. You are paying twice the price for the same product you can get by shopping around. I go there for everything but chemicals.

8. gulfjoe

I live in Columbus Ga, we don't have the largest selection of places to go. I am not a professional landscaper either, JDL is about the only place I know where to get quality products. I don't want to go back to using Scott's turf builders. I have got good results using Lesco, and $28 with tax for a 50lb if preM isn't to bad for me. The fert I buy from them in the spring and summer is around $33 which is $15 cheaper than Scott's at the box stores.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. gulfjoe

Guess I wasted my time and money because I put it down yesterday. I have irrigation and watered it in. Should I think about A split app? If so when and what should I put down?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Don't beat yourself up so much!!! You just prolonged things. This will last until Mid-April or better which is when most of those early blown in weed seed are beginning to germinate. So your lawns will be in good shape. If you used a higher rate maybe until May. This time of year most lawn are somewhat dormant and allow stronger weed pressure.
    Think about a lighter (Split Application) around the end of April and another about July 1st with something with more fertilize than the 0-0-8 depending you your turf type. Fall is another strong pressure time with greater need of your Pre-em.