warming up your engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Godfather, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

Who lets there engines warm up? I always let my mower idle for a few minutes to warm up. With my 2 stroke stuff i just wait the half minute it takes to run smoothly.

2. GroundEffects125

GroundEffects125 LawnSite Senior Member

I let my engine warm up for about one minute

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Book on my Kawasaki says to run at half throttle for, I think, 2 minutes before applying a load. Don't do this religiously, but I do try to let it run for a while first startup of the day before I kick in the PTO. After that, I don't worry about it, unless I'm mowing in cool weather. In the summer, it generally isn't going to cool off that much between stops anyhow.

I do, however, ALWAYS let the engine run for at least 1, and more often, 2 or 3 minutes at idle before shutting down.

4. jwl5510

jwl5510 LawnSite Member

we run all mowers at 1/2 throttle when we get to first yard unitl oil filter is warm to the touch then after oil is warm full throttle for the rest of the day.

never have had to replace an motor!

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

That just what i do....

6. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Once i stop to unload, i start them up and unstrap them and move them off the trailer. That takes about two min. and off we go.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

First thing in the morning, I allow the mowers to warm up at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for a few mins. With my 2 stroke stuff, i just let them idle up for a minute or so.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I am bad about dropping the gate on the trailer, starting the mower at full throttle, as soon as I cut the choke off, im backing it off the trailer. As soon as the tires hit ground deck down blades on. I know its bad for it but Im hard headed like that.

Now my tractor is another story. Start it up and let it idle while un chaining it. When done I let it idle while Im chaining it back up.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes I do sometimes I dont, its difficult to sit there doing nothing while you let equipment warm up. That said I always give the mower about a minute to cool off before shutdown.

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i idle my kawi for about a minute at the first stop, then i engage the blades at idle so its burning a bit more gas just chillin at 1800rpm. once the filter is hot i go.

all subsequent yards i let it warm up for maybe 20 seconds or less if it has only been 5 min.
    you guys think it would be better to use 1/2 throttle than use load from the blades?

2-strokes i gas it as soon as they start. never ever warm em up.