Warner/Bad Boy PTO clutch help please

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AlpineNaturescapes, Nov 9, 2011.

1. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

OK, I have an Exmark Lazer, and the PTO clutch apparently went out. I've read that some clutches are adjustable, but I never read anything like that for my clutch, so I ordered a new one :( cuz the old one was locking up and shooting sparks.

This model has the warning to torque correctly to prevent premature failure, but no instructions on what to torque it to.

Is there a specific torque lb range to torque it to, or do I torque it until the plate stops rubbing or other?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Torque to 70 Ft.Lbs.......

3. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Hey, thanks so much.
    I'll have my mower back tomorrow!!!

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine went out on my ferris and it was a warner. It had the same warning in the box. So, I called them. I don't remember what it was but, it was no where near 70 ft lbs. Maybe 70 in lbs. If it is 70 ft ibs that's going to be hard to get while trying to hold the motor.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Technically, It depends on the clutch model/application. I replaced a couple that required 70 ft.lbs, But since you brought it up I did some checking and found that 50-55 ft.lbs seems to be the more common torque.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yah around 50 is what I see most often. Most of the warners have a flat spot built into them that you can hold while torquing them. We modified an old large crescent wrench to add an offset to get up there to hold this flat spot.