1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Warning! 04 Exmark Viking Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BENTLEY'S, Sep 16, 2005.

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

Check your crankshaft pulley! Put a wrench on it now!Avoid my problem. Mine is only 15 months old. Used 15 to 20 hours per week. The pulley became loose and tore up my crankshaft. I didn't notice any problems in preformance other than I had to tighten my belt more often than I thought necessary. Only a $500.00 problem.
    Check yours now!!!!!!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On Scag they recommend putting loctight on the set screws to hold the hydr pulley. If you have set screws you might want to loctight.

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

For $500.00 they better use loctight! Even Exmark agrees that this pulley should not have come loose. With it being only 15 months old and low hours this should not have happened. Exmark is looking into the repair.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A friend of mine (LCO) had this happen to his engine. But, the problem was his. He put a new engine (Kohler, 15hp) on a w/b. He noticed the problem in a couple of weeks, not months. The set screw worked loose after mounting the new engine, and the crankshaft was torn up. He was able to salvage the engine, but sold the mower the next season.

I'm surprised your problem didn't develop sooner. Apparently the set screw was not tight when it left the factory. It seems strange it work itself loose after many service hours.

Perhaps the advice is to make a simple check of the set screw on new products.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Someone else was on here just this week with a similar problem with on a new ZTR.
    I hope things aren't starting to 'slip' at the factory if you know what I mean.

Ah well, after they have to eat the cost of some major parts and labor a few times, they should get the picture and tighten down the bootstraps a little better...