WARNING Don't do this!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cooncat, Sep 4, 2002.

1. cooncat

cooncat LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner, and not a profesional grass cutter or landscape guy. After taking delivery of my brand new bobcat zt200 I was happily taking it through its paces marveling at its manuverability and speed. I have about three acres to cut with a small grove of trees on part of it. I blasted back and forth out in the flat areas wind parting my hair. Then headed for the trees for some real zero-turn fun. I was zippping around the trees backing up going forward. I had my head down watching the edge of the mower deck around the base of the trees. When suddenly I got the pruned off end of a low hanging branch right in the head. To the tune of 15 stiches and a $1500 emergency room bill. I now have a new respect for this machine and for how easily they can hurt someone. I was lucky I only needed stiches. Some of you are probably thinking what a dumb @#$ but, how many close calls have you had? I posted this in the commercial area of this site becouse I know alot of you have Zero turns. Hope this is a little safety wake-up for everyone. Be safe out there. later
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Not on a ztr but ive wacked my head a few times ducking with wb's. I also tend to concentrate on leaves when using the bp blowers and walked into a few clothes lines and other obstructions. Only had a bump though never stitches.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have hit my head hard a few times. ive hit it 2 times on the same branch at the same account. you just have to watch out and keep aware of things like that. Sometimes you just forget though, and in your case the worst case scenario happens. sorry to hear about your accident.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If I bump my head on the low branches, I have a standing clause in all my contracts that it gets lopped off....that day. So it only happens to me once per branch. :D :D :D

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Here's another one of those "guess what I did" threads. It's like fresh doughnuts, I just can't resist. I band my head all the time on my fulltime job spraying pesticides. I usually run into window air conditioners outside. I ran into a large rubber ball hanging from a rope and instinctively said some cuss words. The howeowner and I had a good laugh after I told him of all the things I run into every day. One time I ran into a low hanging menu board in a restaurant I was servicing at night. It knocked me out for a few minutes and I was all alone. I replaced my ball cap with the bump cap the company issued to me after that.
  6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor has a bird feeder hanging from one of her trees and this thing is llike aluminum so everytime I go around the tree I forget and smack my face right on it. Ouch! I usually ask people if I can cut thereir low branches to make it easier for me. I just add it in to the tax on the monthly bill.
  7. I love telling this story when people ask me about my crooked nose.

Over 20 years ago, while a young fool, we(I was working for my dad) had one account with a pine tree in the middle of the lawn. I hit this one branch at my nose level and hit it hard. I ended up breaking my nose. After a trip to the ER to set my nose, my dad asked the client if we could cut this one branch as it was a problem branch for us. The client said she wanted to keep it for her kids to swing from. About 3 months later, I did the same thing. I was so pissed that I ran to the truck, got the chainsaw and cut the branch. The client, after seeing what I done to the tree, came running out hystericle screaming at me until I turned around and faced her. Should of saw her face when she saw the chainsaw in my right hand and my very bloody face. I remember this incident fondly.

I'm still around by not that pine tree. I still have this client to this day. She still asks me to this day how's my nose doing.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This is why you should always wear safety glasses. You are very lucky.
  9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

other than tripping in a few hidden holes i can only think of one thing. about a year ago my mother in law and myself were cutting down a smaller tree on the rear of their property. for some reason i didn't cut a notch on the back side of where we were cutting. when i got thru the trunk, the top of the tree slide off the angle i cut at and straight at us. didn't hit us but we were holding it up trying to get out of the way. oh, a few customers have bird feeders and a wasp catcher (don't ask) and i've ducked under them a few times and raised up to knock my head on them (good thing i'm hard headed!)
  10. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Thank you for sharing that story. I loved it!