Warning from my city for watering!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nlminc, Oct 4, 2007.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I can't believe this!! I come home to find a door hanger TAPED TO MY MAILBOX from the city issuing me a warning for watering during a Level 4 Drought! I watered my lawn once back in July and haven't even watered my plants except two of my valued trees (Stewartia and Forest Pansy) all summer and I haven't even watered them in 3 weeks! No annuals this year, no new plantings in my yard and I come home to find this on my MB!

States that this is my first notice and the second one will be a $100.00 fine. Third they turn your water off and you pay $500.00.

Meanwhile, the LC company that maintains my neighborhood pulled in this morning and started planting winter annuals(pansies) and have had the irrigation on!! The subdivision across the street has a wall with the SD name on it 12' high that is about 30' long and is a waterfall and it was running full this morning!

You bet I'll be calling the city in the morning! The LC that maintains my SD rakes in about 160k a year.....they are here 1 day per week!!

Sorry.....had to rant! :weightlifter:

2. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them unless they have pictures of this activity at your home to piss off. if they come at you again, with no pictures, you will sue for harasment.

Tell them the only water you have used has been bought fromthe store or transported from another county with no water restrictions.

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

That someone is playing with your head? Did the notice specifically have your name and address on it? If not, it might be a neighbor playing a trick on you. My uninformed, unknowing $.02.:confused:

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

The water patrol looks for wet grass, wet side walks/drive-ways, and any other signs that water was used outside. They have actually started walking through the neighborhoods checking lawns early in the morning. You can tell the difference between dew and the lawn being watered. Good luck on your case.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Its probably your neighbors, mine called on me 3 times! First time it was the water authority and I was not watering, second time it was the police and I was pumping from a lake, 3 time they called the water authority and asked how I could continue to water. I now have a permit for watering so that they will not harass me anymore. I have also filed harassment report against them as they have followed me to my local lake where I have permission to pump water from land owner. I got them back really good last night, we have a volentary homeowners association (The nosey neighbor is in charge of the money) and we pay X amount per year each family to maintain the entrance, I asked for my money back and a few of the neighbors so they are less then half of what they had in the account. Since I am the person who cuts and maintains the entrance I will just pay myself and put out my own damn plants at the entrance. The nosey neighbor was also next door last night visiting my next door neighbor and since I have a watering permit I cranked up the sprinklers and she went inside. It must really suck to try and bust someones chops and it backfires in your face! So now, not only do I not have to get water from a lake, I can water anytime I please...I figured if it rained tonight I was going to water my lawn while standing under an umbrella.

So for these people, be sure to choose your battles wisely!

Some people have too much time on their hands!!

6. nlminc

from GA

Well, I just walked in from my run and I bumped into a few neighbors along the way. The city came thru the neighborhood and gave every home a warning. I still don't think it's right that they are giving people who are not watering a warning with the next citation costing $100.00. There are a few in here violating the ban and it's obvious, but to cite everyone is BS.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who's breaking the rules.

7. nlminc

from GA

I feel your pain! The reason why I bought 20 acres north of here.......I'll never have any neighbors or a subdivision.

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I just saw it on the news....lol....the city manager said it was a misprint.

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

report them to your postmaster. they should know better than that

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Yeah, really. Take a picture of the flyer on the mailboxes and take the photo to the post master. Complain that there were non postmarked solicitation/threats taped to the mailboxes on your street and you want them to press charges/fines.